painting my bonneville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calzinger

Beer
I'm planning to paint my 1977 bonneville in aluminum (silver) to match my Silverstone Temjin 6. I heard that most people paint 'em black, but silver would do good to match my case, eh?

I'm also using sheet metal as the shroud for the front intake so basically everything would be that aluminum silver color.

Just curious as to your thoughts. What should I tape away, and what shouldn't get paint on it?

the only thing you really need to do is mask off your barbs that the tubing fits over and that's pretty much it...you don't want paint getting inside of the barbs or heatercore so just mask them off and paint that sucker...make sure you get a nice light finish though, definitely don't want to cake on the paint otherwise it won't cool as efficient

So in this picture, all I have to tape off are the barbs at the top and their hole (to ensure that paint doesn't get inside as you said)?

Is there any special paint you have to use? Or is some generic spray paint fine?

Don't paint the fins, I've found they look just as good without paint, especially in a low lit case where you can't see much. I painted the barbs and sides of mine and it turned out quite good, and it looks like I painted the fins are well as it turns out with a black shine when under certain light condicitions.

Painted fins = lower heat transfer

all I have to tape off are the barbs at the top and their hole (to ensure that paint doesn't get inside as you said)?
Yeah, as far as paint goes I dont know, if it were me I'd just be using your run of the mill spray paint.

He's going for a silver look though gaara not black...I believe weapon wrote a little tutorial and he just basically dusted the fins...held the spray paint a good deal over head and just let it fall down on top of it....but yeah paint would technically keep in heat, but if it's a really light dust you wouldn't tell a differece

I'll be installing some cathodes in there so the difference between a black and silver may be quite noticeable.

Think I will have to apply a more heavy coat since the thing is relatively black to begin with? People painting it black were probably able to get away with a light dust since it doesn't take too much to darken it up a bit.

2blkhc2.jpg

This looks like a damn heavy coat. Or can you accomplish this solid look with just a dust off?

Shumway, what do you mean by "the real aluminum spray paint"?

Oh. I think aluminum was just the name of the color of the paint, not the material it's meant for. It's Rust-oleum High Performance Enamel. Says on the back that it's "idea for metal, wood, concrete and masonry surfaces". I think it should be okay. I'll throw it elsewhere to test it.

Has anyone seen a silver heatercore? Does it look kick ass? I've seen the black ones which look really clean, but silver must look great also especially in a silver aluminum case with a sheet metal shroud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom