Lookin for ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealthraider

Baseband Member
Ok im pretty new at the whole building a pc thing iv added and changed hardware out of my current pc but that was just some ram and a dvd drive. any way my friend has been trying to talk me out of an alienware cuz i can build my own for way cheeper. i guess what im getting at is i dont trust him to "help" me due to the fact that the last time he came in contact with my computer he fried a USB port! i have a 1600 dollar limit and what my imagination can create. all i know is i want one of those spiffy new AMD prossesers with the duel cores and a DFI lanparty mobo and i really like the sound of liquid cooling systems

any advice would be greatly appreciated thx! :)

well, 1600 limit is quite a bit of money, if you go dual core and want to pay less go with a Pentium D and u can get a 3ghz dual core for like 320 from newegg. building a computer is alot cheaper than buying an alienware, your not paying for the computer at alienware but your buying the name, when you hear alienware you think man hes lucky but really go with building one, make sure you can build it tho or find someone who knows how to and have them help you purchase the items simply because of having them campatible and fitting properly.

ibuypower.com has some good deals if you dont want to build it but get a good price.

they have a whole list of computers and you can configure them. at decent prices better than alienware.

ibuypower isnt bad i like newegg myself but its nice to know theres options and i can build it no prob the water cooling intimidates me a bit tho

water cooling may be cool, but it's like neon lights. It's probably not always necessary... Are you going to be doing heavy, heavy overclocking? That's what it was intended for. Anyway, 1600 will go a LOOOONG way. DFI Lanparty is obviously the top of the line mobo right now. Don't overspend on your processor and damper the rest of the system. Remember, it's not all in the CPU. If you're at the end of your budget and can't quite squeeze something in, downgrade to a slightly slower socket 939 AMD...

Ryan

so putting a bigger cpu in than i need will bog it down? thought a computer was as strong as its weakest part not as weak as its strongest part

Heyyo,

Lol, the cpu won't be letting the comp down man. A good AMD Athlon64 3200+ venice core cpu, or even a 3500+ if you have some spare cash is great. I havnt' seen amy benchmarks with dual core vs single core, so I dunno how much better these dual core cpu's do in gaming anyways. Lol, nah, for gaming stick with a Amd Athlon64 dude, saw some benchmarks, the single core FX57 beat the dual core Athlon64 x2's pretty much every time by a good framerate too. So yeah, dual core expensive, and not really built for gaming.. well, at least not yet. ;)

since you have a big budget (I'm guessing USD) then get like a nvidia 6600GT, I'd say sli so there's room for upgrading there if the need ever arises.

a good dfi sli socket 939 mobo would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom