Confusing Overclocking Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, at least a couple things to check out:

Did you lock AGP/PCI? If not, do so at 66/33.
How is your PSU, is it undervolting?
Have you tried any changes to vcore or vdimm?

I guess I just won't be able to overclock or something.
No, you just need to read more and do more testing. I would at least isolate the problem between the RAM or the CPU. Lower the multi to x11 and try again. Keep the RAM at 1:1. If it works, it is not the RAM. You can keep going by continuing to lower the multi but raising HTT and keeping the CPU under 2.4Ghz and see what your RAM can take.

Now, do the same thing with the CPU. Put the multi back to x12. Change the FSB:RAM divider to 4:3 or something, and raise HTT. Check how high you can go and with what vcore while continuing to keep the RAM under 200Mhz. This way you can find your max CPU speed.

Keep note of what vcore and vdimm is needed at speeds, and then put together a combination that comes as close to possible of maxing out each such as 11x240 or whatever it might be.

if you're running your RAM at stock voltages and not only that, keep it at stock timings then it will fail pretty quickly.

RAM is more difficult to get stable than the CPU so if you aren't familiar with OC'ing your RAM then you shouldn't be keeping it 1:1 right now

Did you lock AGP/PCI? If not, do so at 66/33.

Yep, locked.

How is your PSU, is it undervolting?

I don't think so. I just got a new PSU, see here. All of the voltages fall within the accepted variance ranges under load.

Have you tried any changes to vcore or vdimm?

I tried raising the CPU VCore from 1.5V to 1.65V and couldn't get it to run stable, so I gave up. I tried raising the VDimm to 2.7V.

Thank you all for the replies, they were very helpful. I was checking my CPU temp, and currently it idles at about 46 C, so I won't have much overclocking headroom at all. I might have to get a Thermalright XP-120 or a Zalman 7700CU before I can try to do any overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom