Want help on new motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

fangs2000

In Runtime
hey all,

A friend of mine wants to overhall his computer. He is looking into getting a new motherboard, but doen't want to spend more than £70 on it. What would everyone recommend he should get?

He would prefer if he can have a board which can support both 32 bit and 64 bit AMD processors, i know ASUS are good for those, but are there any others?

The more features the Board has the better, such as Dual-channel, DDR400 etc. He already has a network and sound card, so intergrated hardware is not importent. He is not interested in Overclocking, so that's not importent.

Any questions i'm happy to answer, i got a good idea of what he's looking for.

-fangs

ok, i've looked at the A8N-E and it seems pretty good. Just want to double check. It can use Athlon XP (socket A) chips AND AMD 64 chips (which i assume is 754).

I don't want to mess this up, my friend won't be too happy if i reccommend a board which does not do what he wants it to do...

thanks for the replys

it really depends on the CPU. That's the vital information you need before shopping for the mobo. From there, ask away.

Ryan

Well you need to decide which socket

And HAVOC2k5, even if someone is not intrested in overclocking, the DFI lanparty is still by far the best AMD board's made.

he's looking to shove a high end socket a chip in there, a 3200. here's a link to what he's buying:

3200 AMD (socket A)

Since that's the maximum for that range. ATM prices for that kinda speed on 64bit processors are much higher. It would be better for him to wait for the prices to come down. He just wants the option to go faster if he ever got more money.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Well you need to decide which socket

And HAVOC2k5, even if someone is not intrested in overclocking, the DFI lanparty is still by far the best AMD board's made.

The DFI Lanparty is an overclockers board CHRIS. You know that. I know that. He's specifically said, "he's not interested in overclocking and probably never will." "Those baords also come with a price tag to match.

LOL - This is the same as me "ALWAYS" recommending PCP&C. And everyone always says, "They're too expensive and he doesn't need that." He could buy something cheaper and it will be just as good.

So i stand corrected in this thread for my objection to the DFI lanparty recommendation. But, that's ok, because it supports my PCP&C recommendations for the rest of my time here at TF.

We should all start labeling our recommendations as:
Either say, "Will do just fine" or say, "The best you can buy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom