strange problem with building new pc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armethion

Baseband Member
ok, ive recently ordered the componets for my new pc from new egg. they came and me and my friend put it together. we installed the parts and everything seems to be plugged into the right place, except when i turn it on, it dosent work. the motherbaord's green light comes on showing that it has power.when i press the power button the cpu fan, the video card fan and the case fans all start to spin but stop.

my friend thinks that the power supply isnt compatible with the system.do you guys think he is right? i dont have any other ideas of what could be wrong.

the specs of the pc are:
raidmax cobra 822W case
AMD Athlon 3500+ Processor
nvidia 6600gt video card
1 gb corsair value ram
maxtor 250 gb hdd
not the best, but good enough and fairly affordable.

HELP

Well, what motherboard are you using?

I'm willing to bet that if you check the manual, "Look for the CMOS jumper." Check to see if the jumper is in the "NORMAL or CLEAR" position. If it's in CLEAR position, move it to normal. Press the power button and thank me later.

Some motherboards ship with this jumper in the clear position to save the life of the CMOS battery.

If it's in the normal position, then recheck the cases frontpanel connectors with the MOBO's connecters. Make sure you have everything connected properly. Colored wires are usually + and black wires always ground.

Repost and let me know what's happened.

Okay raidmax PSU's are garbage

This sounds like the lack of a POWER_GOOD signal from the PSU. Very likely.

Do you have a multimeter?

I agree those PSU's are garbage. But, I don't think it's an issue here. I've had that same exact problem before. The MOBO light shows power. You press the power button and all the fans spin for a second and stop.

Then I found the CMOS jumper:

The manual said, "PINS 1 - 2 = Normal" & "PINS 2 - 3 = Clear"
I was assuming that the pins were: ( 1 - 2 - 3 ) left to right.
Wrong - They were: (3 - 2 - 1) the whole time i was trying to power up this sucker the jumper was in the clear position. When I put it in normal.... ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....
YEAH BABY....

Im not saying the PSU isnt powerful enough to start it

But if a PSU never generates a PWR_GOOD signal, the computer can never boot.

Does that PSU have a 20PIN mobo power connecter? Because if it does i'm pretty sure that MOBO requires a 24pin power connecter, seeing as that's a PCIexpress - SLI board.

CHRIS?

hmm, its not the jumper, but i think i found the problem in another thread. the mobo has a 24 pin power slot, and the psu's power connector is a 20 pin. wouldnt that make it not work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom