linksys wireless connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

FouG

Beta member
I have a linksys wireless G adapter and a wireless G router. I am using windows xp with a good computer. I was wondering if anyone knew why the connection speeds are so slow (I am not to far from the router), they run at about 11.0MB/s. I heard from somewhere that its my firmware? that i need to update this?
Anyone got any tips to make my connection faster?

thanks

Re:

Hello,

Firstly, ensure that your wireless adaptor's configuration settings are set so that your Wi-Fi adapator is operating at the highest speed. Some adaptors allow you to modify the speeds to preference...

...apart from that i'm not too sure what else could be the problem.

Heyyo,

Now, wireless technology ain't that fast man. 54Mbits/s (bits, NOT bytes man) is the fastest, most wireless connections are weak, thus they limit themselves to 11Mbits/s. This is what's happening to you probably. How far is the wireless adapter from the wireless router?

anywho, 54Mbits/s (your wireless max) is 6.75MBytes/s max. Remember, 8 bits inna byte. So a 100Mbit/s (average wired connection) can theoretically go 12.5MBytes/s. So yeah, lol, impossible for a wireless-g router and adapter to go 11MBytes/s unless by MB you meant bits, but usually you write the bits out, and for bytes you just put a B. Kinda threw me off, so just wanna clarify this stuff with ya.

Wait a second.. 802.11b is needed to reach full speed for your wireless-g adapter/router stuff I think, in order to do that, you need to have Windows XP SP2 as it adds support for IEEE 802.11b standard. There ya go, try upgrading to WinXP SP2, should help. :)

Re:

Hello,

I think he's just confused Megabytes with Megabits. I think he means 11Mb/s not 11MB/s.... :rolleyes:

If your router is 802.11G, and the only nodes you have are 802.11G, leave the router set to G mode only, which will get you the highest speeds.. If you have nodes on you network operating at 802.11B, you need to set the router to "mixed" mode. It will decrease your speeds, but then all of your cpu's will work with it.

i beleive u have the wrt54g router the same one i had and the same linksys wireless adapter i had and i think u are shit outta luck man. try moving the pc closer, and stuff like that because, there could be stuff in the walls holding u back. the best thing to do is to run wires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom