What's the story with this mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FghtinIrshNvrDi

Fully Optimized
I'm gettin ready to order, and I was going through one last time checking stuff to make sure everything was compatible before sending away my hard earned money. Now I was glancing over this gigabyte motherboard, and I looked at the power connector. It has 20 pin, and 24 pin kinda. The last 4 pins are capped off with a black thing. I was wondering what kind of compatibilty action was going on here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128288

Here's what I've assumed on my own, correct me if I'm wrong.
I think 24 pin PSU's are compatible with 20 pin.
I know 20 pin is compatible with all 20 pin.
I Know the 24 pin is compatible with the 24 pin.

But the question is... are 24 pin PSU's compatible with this 'capped' 24 pin connector? The black thing looks highly removable. Do these ports serve a function if they were originally capped? Will the motherboard be fully functional with only a 20 port power unit?

Ryan

PSU's are now being designed to support PCIexpress motherboards. And with PCIexpress comes SLI and Crossfire. Plus MOBO's are being Designed with more options and features, 4 more pins have been added to the once standard 20 and eventually 24 will be the standard.

Some MOBO's come with 20PIN and 4 capped for 24PIN PSU support. Just as you are describing. If you have this type of MOBO, but only have a 24pin PSU, remove the 4 pin cap, everything will work just as it should. But, if you have a 24 pin PSU and only a 20 pin MOBO, forget it.
If you have a 24PIN MOBO, and only a 20 PIN PSU, forget it it's not going to work.

i wouldnt get the mobo i would get the nforce 4 or the nforce 3 board not VIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom