Help with video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he said he tried it with a 350watt PSU and it did it then he tried it with a 350watt enermax whisper and it still didnt work.

Abercrombie said:
Well he said he tried it with a 350watt PSU and it did it then he tried it with a 350watt enermax whisper and it still didnt work.

Ask him if he can to try it on a PSU >400W. Also ask him to try another GPU in his PC and see if that GPU shows symptoms.

When you said you shipped out the GPU I took as you probably had it in your PC before. But I might be wrong. Is this card brand new? Never been used before shipment? If so it could simply be a defective GPU. For example, if he put another GPU in that PC and it works fine and if he puts the 9800 into another PC and symptoms still show up then RMA it if it is still under warranty.

I was using it in my computer. And hes useing his other card it he says it works jsut fine.Is the warranty still good if I changed the heatsink?

Heyyo,

Sry, warranty's invalid now man cause it's not in its original configuration. Most warranties don't even let you tamper with anything. Main example is HD's, if you break the sticker seal warranty's gone. Like that. :(

Anywho, if the other psu diddn't cause the error? he probably has a crappy PSU in there right now. Use that enermax whisper one then. There's lots of crappy PSU's out there, if it's not a good brand you have in your comp? then you're taking a risk. In his case the risk failed him. In my case I'm lucking out. ;)

Abercrombie said:
I was using it in my computer. And hes useing his other card it he says it works jsut fine.Is the warranty still good if I changed the heatsink?

Nope that voids the warranty. I have also heard that using a 9800 Pro with a PSU lower than 300W (lower than requirement) voids the warranty. I have a 9800 Pro AIW myself.

Let me ask you another question. How did your friend install the drivers? Was the GPU inside his PC before the 9800 Pro an ATI GPU? If it was an Nvidia GPU did he go through the necessary steps of removing ALL traces of Nvidia drivers (ie. using Driver Cleaner Pro)? Some people recommend a complete reformat of the hard drive which obviously works as well. But like another poster I don't think it is a driver issue. But try different drivers and try a clean install of driver just in case if he hasn't already. But like I said I have seen this before and it usually is a PSU problem. I'm assuming the 9800 Pro worked fine in your PC...what GPU do you have? There is something about amplines or something which I am not knowledgable about but cheap PSUs have weak amplines like < 12v or something like that. The 9800 Pro needs at least 12v to run properly. Enermax is not a bad PSU brand...I prefer Antec but I know somebody who had an Antec and had this issue but he simply replaced it with an Antec PSU 400W, The one he had before was 300W. But 350W should be enough to run the 9800 Pro (I have seen it work in 250W same as 6600GT) and the screen you showed me doesn't indicate that the GPU was stressed out by heavy duty app. I don't know what else to say but good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom