Broadband - network cable unplugged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud5437

In Runtime
IÂ’m having a problem with my broadband. It connects fine and works for a few minutes then a bubble at appears saying that a network cable is unplugged. it will stay like this for about 20 seconds then work fine for another few minutes. Dose anyone know what the problem is? It started to happen a few days ago so I ran Ad-aware, Registry Mechanic and Antivir all of which found no problems. I was over due a format (about 6 months since last) sp today I thought I would and reinstall everything but the problem is still happening. IÂ’m using AOL if thatÂ’s important
Can anyone help?

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 41
You may want to look at a few things. First, assuming that you have already ensured that both ends of the cable are properly seated, I would try a different cable. If you are plugged into a switch, I would try a different port if replacing the cable did not help. If you are still having problems I would run diagnostics on your NIC, that is if your computer came with a diagnostic cd. You can always go to the command prompt and ping 127.0.0.1, which will perform a loopback test on your NIC. If you run that ping with a -t switch you can watch the ping for a few minutes to look for any interuptions. I have seen this many times, dont be suprised if you end up having to go and buy a new NIC.

The NIC is your Network Interface Card. Your cable will be plugged into it, that is unless you are connected via usb. The card may be integrated, or it may installed in a PCI slot.

is it on an internal USB port or are you connecting through a hub? Also, have you looked to see what the power is for the USB port you are using? Some times, ports on the system don't have enough juice to runa device off of them, so you will need a powered hub to correct that. Also, why use the USB, when it's unstable? Get a CAT5 cable and conect that way, through a router... oh, yea, get a router too.

the usb was working fine for months, why would there be a problem with power now? its a usb port on the machine i dont have a hub

Try downloading the most current software for your modem. Then completely uninstall all of the software for the device that is on your machine. Unplug the USB cable from your computer. Restart your machine. Now reinstall the new software that you downloaded, and reattach your USB cable. Sometimes a flaky driver can cause this type of problem. Also you may want to reinstall your USB controllers under device manager. Sometimes they become corrupted, or the wrong version is installed causing these kinds of problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom