I electrified my case!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddogsdhs

Baseband Member
anyway, i recently added 5 new case fans to my case, and in the process messed up some stuff on the mobo, causing the system to die, although i reassembled everything and it worked again. Back to my problem, when i touch a heater grill on the floor of my house and my case at the same time, i get a very distinct, not discomforting, tingling. I have definetly electrified my case somehow. My friend said something about it not being grounded. Any ideas?

Thank you,
Jeffo

i dont know but id try making sure your mobo isnt touching anything and theres no wires touching metal. cuz i have a case with usb plugs in the front and i never used them so there just hanging. and the other day i was putting a couple more fans in and they where hanging and i put them back in and it made all these sparks then dragged across my mobo and fried it :,(

Dude... whenever working on PC, no matter how small the task: ALWAYS....... ALWAYS turn off the PSU and unplug it from the wall. Thats a huge rookie mistake man.

As for you maddog, is there something youve worked on in the case prior to it shorting? If so, sheck any loose wires and all connections are correct.

If not it can be somewhat of a hassle. Check all wires, make sure there is no contact to metal anywhere.

I had to take my cousins PC apart to fix it, and the cause was improper installation of the motherboard. So you may have to get your hands dirty on this one.

i know that the mobo should have some spacers inbetween it and the panel it is on. I do'nt believe i ever saw those spacers (i did not install this motherboard myself). Do i perhaps need to buy some of these to ensure the mobo isn't the short? Also, i will check USB stuff as you suggested, because i was messing with that.

Thanks for all the help,
Jeffo

As stupid as this may sound, if everything up there fails, you can check the electrical outlet your computer is plugged in and make sure that the ground plug is indeed grounded. I've seen handymen who didn't know any better forget to ground their plugs when renovating their houses.

thanks for all the comments, i have been opening up the case a bunch lately, ill check the stuff you all suggested very soon. As for the grounding, this is actually extremely possible, we have had a few shoddy electrical jobs in the house, although much of the wiring was done by a man who knows what he is doing. Anyway, ill check stuff and get back to you. Thanks very much.

get an volt meter, set it to 20 volts and under, check the board with ground on the 5v side and the 12v side it will help determine atlest how much voltage your grounding, its like your car battery which is also 12v(dc) but if you are touching the positive and ground somewhere your feel a tingling where ever you touch ground, so moral is get an ohm meter and check for WHICH and HOW MUCH voltage is running through ground, that away you can rule out certain components, i believe all fans run on 12v so if you find out 12v that would be my first guess, check each fan to ground and see what you get,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom