Athlon 64 Retail Box question

Status
Not open for further replies.

FghtinIrshNvrDi

Fully Optimized
I am uncertain if there is any thermal grease that comes with a new Athlon 64 3000+. If so, I'll be saving a few bucks, but I'm getting ready to do my final order for all my computer stuff, and was just wondering if I could save 5 bucks by not ordering any grease.

As you can tell, money's tight if I'm wasting a thread on a 5 dollar item. If there is grease with the processor, is it any good?

Also, I was looking at different brands of grease, and the Arctic silver stuff goes for way more money. It looks to me that the chemical composition of the grease is similar in the bargian items. Approx 99.9% silver solution. I don't see why paying for a name is good, unless there's something extra I'm missing.

Sorry for writing the book. I know, it's just grease... you've dealt with it a million times, but I can't quite find the answer to my questions.

Ryan

Okay for the extra 5$ you got a 3 year warranty, and a nice heatsink with a thermal pad

Artic Silver 5 is better than anything, but it is not nessacary

Thermal Grease does not come with the CPU or Stock Heatsink. Although, at stock HS probably comes with a Thermal Pad installed. Which is ok for standard use. If you plan on overclocking, a high-quality thermal grease, "ARCTIC SILVER #5" is the only thing I and many others would recommend.

The extra $6.00 will be worth it.

If you do go with the AS5 and your HS comes with a thermal pad, make sure you completely remove all thermal pad material and completely clean the surface of the HS. Make sure it's clean enough to eat off of.

For instructions and more info: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_big2.htm

well, I was planning on buying a low cost thermaltake HSF combo on newegg for something like 7 bucks I think. It's simple and to the point. I was hoping there would be thermal grease inside the box with the stock HSF for me to reuse on my aftermarket HSF. Thanks for the quick replies fellas.

Ryan

hmm... I have heard good things about thermaltake brand PSU's, and I figured... hey, it's hard to screw up a heatsink and fan, so I thought I'd give it a shot. How do 15 dollar heatsink/fan combos go? I'm shopping newegg so I can get all my stuff in one box on the same day. :) Thanks for your time guys.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom