A good computer...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebrettman

Baseband Member
Leadtek WinFast GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP)

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939)

Abit AV8 VIA K8T800 Pro (Socket 939) Motherboard

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus NCQ 80GB ST380817AS SATA 8MB Cache

Crucial 1GB DDR PC3200 CAS3.0 Dual Channel Kit (2x512MB)

Sony DWQ28ASV 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Silver) - OEM

and then a basic case with psu

all for £560.79 or $1000 (bear in mind Uk prices tend to be more expensive

Thanks to all who replied to my earlier post abiut a good graphics card for £200 or $350. The Leadtek from overclockers.co.uk looks sweet.

Within that budget is there any particular changes you might suggest to the components that I have selected? I want to try to achieve a good balance in processor and motherboard performance but graphics are the priority. I realise there is no point in having a great graphics card and processor if the motherboard is not up to it. So is the abit av8- a relatively cheap board much good?

Thanks to all who contribute

Any particular reason your going AGP? PCI-e is nice as far as upgradability.

If you do go AGP, I would suggest the MSI NF3 board.

If you can go PCI-e, go with the DFI Ultra-D NF4 board.

If you plan on OC'ing at all, you might want to go with better RAM. If you are not going to OC, that RAM will be fine.

I have a AV8 and do not like it for one reason, it was designed to be a overclocking board, and after the Abit NF7 for the socket A everyone thought it would be what the DFI lanparty is, but it is not. I can't even overclock. 1mhz faster HTT and I can't play games. I also can't turn my PC off and have the PSU still on otherwise the PC will not boot, just get a siren and CMOS is re-set, so my PC is left on all day. (I said more in a earlier post today if you want more information why I don't like it.) Instead, either get a DFI lanparty Nforce 3 (£80 at OCUK) or a MSI neo2 plat. (£93 at OCUK.)

Also, don't get any old case with a PSU, as cheap cases are small and use thin metal, and you don't want a bloody stain on your new hardware. Cheap PSU's are un-reliable, un-stable, die early on, don't give out there rated wattage and AMPS on the 12v due to being tested in a un-real enviroment (were it is alot colder than it is here, so there is less resistance.) When they go, they also have a tendancy to take out your hardware, or fill the room up with smoke, while your eye's are recovering from the huge flash.

No overclocking idiotec

as you suggest the msi board I will take a look as I feel agp is the way we are going here

I might look for a decent case as well trifid

much appreciated guys

if you're like me and don't plan on manipulating your motherboard and using it stock, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that motherboard you posted. I've read very good reviews about happy customers that it worked for. They just weren't crazy into overclocking.

Ryan

thebrettman said:
I might look for a decent case as well trifid
[/B]

You can go with any case you like, you just have to replace the PSU. For what you are building Antec makes some decent PSU's that are at a resonable price. This one willl work good for that setup...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103908

Or this one for a few bucks more, well worth it...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104154

Oh, and by the way if you want to save a few bucks....This is good ram for the buck here...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145440

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom