Good build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsiboy700

Fully Optimized
Case - ASPIRE X-Superalien ATXA6SW-RED/500 Red Aluminum Server Computer Case ATX aluminum 500W see-through power supply Power Supply - Retail

Mobo - ABIT Fatal1ty AN8-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Video Card - GIGABYTE GV-NX68T256DH Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Cpu - AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX - Retail

Ram - Patriot 2GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model PEP1G3200LL - Retail (2x 1gb sticks, dual channel?)

HD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3300831AS 300GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Dvd Burner (for -r's only) - LG White IDE DVD Burner Model GSA-4163BI - Retail

Build comes out to about $1500 (spending limit)

Good build or could be better?

hey, I like the looks of it. is that case really nessary? Maybe you should just get a mid size tower or something. Just a thought. It's really a matter of preference since the case is the least important part of the machine. maybe it would be cheaper to downgrade the size of the HDD, but that's me. I'm thinking you might be able to get more speed out of a smaller HDD with faster read speeds. You know? Just an idea. If it's not much of a gain, stick with it. What I like to do is get a smaller HDD for my OS and a huge one for all the 'other' stuff, including games mostly. Say... a 40 gig for OS and an 80+ gig for storage.

Ryan

on edit: those sticks of ram will work in dual channel assuming you put them in the correct slots to operate for dual channel.

Great! But the 2 GB of RAM is kinda overkill. Right now the difference between 1G and 2G is minimal to none. Two 512 sticks should be plenty. You can always add two more 512 sticks later when it becomes cheaper and it makes more of a difference. (In about a year mayby.)

I don't like the motherboard, abit failed with the AV8 which is meant to be a excellent overclocking board, they supply overclocking software, temperature display for windows, voltage displays, fan RPM and you can select the different overclocks that you want, so you can have default speeds v. high overclock, and a normal overclock that you made, and Abit pre-aproved overclocks they made, and on mine all this on a LCD external read-out but, if only it could overclock 1mhz with the PCI lock on, and w/o it my hdd becomes corrupt (sata interface)

And then they get some loser named Fatal1ty who can't spell with letters to put his "name" on it, and a couple of cheap fans, and they charge you $200!

The DFI lanparty is a great board, I wish I had one. If you don't want that then the MSI neo4 SLI board.

You will need a 24pin PSU, and that PSU that is supplied with the case will not be, and most likley a crap generic one. Thermaltake have a 24pin PSU, but OCZ Antec T.P 2.0 or enermax have 24pin PSU's and are great quality products.

2gb's is more ram than you need with today's games, but BF2 requires alot of RAM, and the next gen games will require more, but that is something easy that you can upgrade later.

Btw. the ram is not dual channel, the motherboard has to support dual channel. Any 2 sticks of ram can be put in dual channel (preferable the same size, but there has been cases where you can put 2 sticks of 256, and 1 stick of 512 in dual channel.)

No, you can have what ever speed you want. For AMD 64, the fastest your RAM will run is PC3200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom