wireless any good for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jseber1982

Enterprise SCCM\SCOM
movin into a new place. my cable jack is on the other side of the basement. Instead of runnin a yucky lookin wire, thinkin bout wireless. Iv used wireless a lot,but not for gaming. In terms of ping time, is it fine for online gaming? the router will only be like 20 feet from my pc. And also, what do ya think is better, a pci wireless card, or usb.. for a desktop? And also maybe can you recommend a good router. I got a refurbished negear access point and i gotta reset the thing every 2 days,, damn pos..

thanks

right now not really especially for gaming. unless u go with wireless N but that is very expensive. Or unless u get a 108mb SRX router and a A+G card im not sure if that router is 54mb or 108 but the srx and a linksys a+g card would probably do it but thats over 200$ right there for good wireless

ouch lol yea, thats a bit.. i talked to a guy in my office and was askin him, he was yeaaa it would be fine for gaming,, then i asked him if he was a gamer, he said no lol

yea its not gonna be cheap but u can just run a cable wire up throught the heating vents or something cant u?

the router and pc will be in the same room. its a townhouse basement. i was just tryin to get around runnin like 20 feet of wire around the wall. i guess i will have to since im not gunna get as good of ping times

It's not costr man, and why would you need an 802.11N card? Thats silly. You could get a linksys MIMO router access point, and, like was said, the 108Mbps speed, but I dont think it is reliable enough. WiFi is ALWAYS dropping the signal, therefore you would be getting lots of lag. There are many different things other than cost that you have to take into consideration, such as reliability and signal dropping and packet sending/receiving. Wireless is made for (right now anyway0 sharing the internet and a network wirelessly. Gaming over wireless is not advisable. It's like using a wireless mouse to game, you really shouldnt. The response time is slower than wire, because of dropped signals and an entire signal not making it and whatnot.

It would be cheaper, and surpisingly easier, anyway, to just run a cable. It may be hard to run the cable, but configuring that and dealing with the lag would be a lot more of a hassle than simply running a cable. You do that in a few hours (less than an hour if you know what you are doing) thats it, you never have to worry about that cable again.

timmer said:
yea its not gonna be cheap but u can just run a cable wire up throught the heating vents or something cant u?

And you never want to do that, Cat5 is rather on the flammable side. to do that, you have to get some level of Plenum (not sure which) and that shyt is EXPENSIVE! You can just run the cablee on the outside of the vent. Make sure not to run it over and lights or electrical runs, or along them for that matter.

I have a 54Gbps wireless network and I play games just fine. My connection to the router is through a few walls, floors, and a 2.4GHz phone. It works great. For CS:Source I get around average or below average ping times.

Hmm.... Isnt that something? I've read strict not to on that, and it makes sense. Well, to each his own. If it works, it works. If it dosent, it's doing like I said it would. Guesss there are lots of variables.

Thats funny on the 2.4GHz phone, because whenever my mom picks up her phone (which is right next to her computer) she immediately looses signal on the wifi, and when she turns the phone off, she immediately gets the signal back.

It really depends on your environment, and the material in your walls. I've seen situations like Sport1031 was talking about, but then Ive seen situations where there was one wall between the router and the adapter, and it was getting very weak signal. Both were from a Linksys Wireless G w/ Speedbooster router. Also, Mbps doesn't really matter much with wireless and gaming, being as your internet connection is likely only 3-5Mbps, well below the maximum capacity of your router. Its more about whether you can get a good strong signal.

if your runnin a g network thats 54 mbs which is plenty. I am running a g network in my house and I game, I can get no lagging at speeds as low as 30 mbits a second so you should be fine. I play city of heroes and americas army. They run fine. It all depends on how the game is designed to use the network bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom