CD-RW Trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokingTequila

Solid State Member
Sorry if this is in the wrong place - it seemed right, though.

I am the webmaster of a fairly busy forum, although none of you have probably ever heard of it. I was switching hosts in order to get more bandwidth to support the forum, and before I did, I backed up all of the forum files and the SQL Database.

My computer then messed up (well, not really, I just felt like reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows), so I burnt myself a backup disk that included all of the files from my folders and everything. After burning the disk, I checked and double checked to make sure that the forum files and SQL DB were still on, and they were.

Then I reinstalled Windows, and started restoring the files from the backup disk. The folder that the forum files and database were in was still there, but the DB wasn't there; nor were the forum files.

I can't bring myself to tell all of the members what had happened because, for some of them, this forum is there life. The admin of the forum has already moved it and worked on restoring it and stuff over 5 times now, and he's tired of it. He said that if he has to do it once more, he's giving up.

Therefore, I do not want this to happen, for three reasons:
- - - I'm afraid of the recourse from the forum members
- - - I do not want to crush the admin (that was his life, working on the forum)
- - - I loved the forum, too, and do not want to see it gone.

Does anybody know of any way whatsoever that the files might happen to still be on the disk, but were kind of temporarily hidden? Is there a way that I could possibly bring them back?

Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can offer!

I'm using XP - from what you said, it sounds like that would be bad. Also, I'm not positive on what software I'm using, but I believe that it is Nero. Not sure, because it came with the computer.

yes, have you tried reading the disc on another computer? i would also make an exact copy of that disc and closing the session on the duplicated disc. than try to read the duplicate

I tried MicroBells suggestion of showing the encrypted files and hidden files, and it didn't help. They're still not there. I haven't yet checked another PC; I'll do that later on when I get a chance.

- - - Edit: Turns out I have no other PC's to try the disk on. I thought that I would, because my dads got two that he doesn't use. But, unfortunately, he won't let me use either one of them to check; not even the one that I gave him when I bought myself a new one. He said he doesn't want it to corrupt his computer, but the SQL DB was just a text file. As far as I know, a text file can't do anything harmful to a computer.
- - - Anybody have any other suggestions? If not, that's okay, because all of my online friends (from the forum) hate me anyways...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom