PAGING FILE Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZËÐ

Baseband Member
I have 704Mb of Kingston RAM installed and a 64Mb ATi Radeon 7000.

I wanted some advice on setting my paging file in XP, Home Edition.

I've heard that if you have more than 512Mb, you can survive without a paging file. However, will this decrease or increase performance?

For the likes of performance, what value should my paging file be set to?

Thank you all for any advice or contributions to this post.

ZED.

ZËÐ said:
I have 704Mb of Kingston RAM installed and a 64Mb ATi Radeon 7000.

I wanted some advice on setting my paging file in XP, Home Edition.

I've heard that if you have more than 512Mb, you can survive without a paging file. However, will this decrease or increase performance?

For the likes of performance, what value should my paging file be set to?

Thank you all for any advice or contributions to this post.

ZED.

Always good to have a swap file, just in case you need it. If you have a 2nd hard drive in your system, switch the file to run off that drive instead.

I won't recommend the size you should use, because 10 people will tell you 10 different things.

Just make sure you make the min and max settings the same size.

search this forum. this question is ask 2 or 3 times a week. then the arguing will start.

some (me included) will say put it in it's own partition (the 1st 5 gigs on the hard drive) at the beginning of your second hard drive if you have one (you need to set yours to 1488 for the minimum and maximum in this setup as you will get optimal performance this way). if you don't have a second drive, set it up this way on your first hard drive (the numbers, 1488). others will say you need buy a gig or two and turn the page file off. Which I and others here think is useless.

if I was falling off a cliff, I would rather be pulled up with with a with 400lb (pagefile on) rope than a 200lb one (pagefile off) Rope, if I weigh 200lbs.
it called headroom and I guess some people don't understand it

you computer just wouldn't work well with just 512 and the pagefile off. this is resource hog XP, that we are talking about

Eric said it best... Unless your pumping a ridiculous amount of ram I would always have a pagefile set up.

-Matt

Hi, I would also recommend wat EricB recommended, does anyone think there would be a problem with me getting a 1GB USB Pen drive and sticking the pagefile on that? or would that be slow and stuff...or what about on a 750 MB zip drive?

No....but if you pull the usb drive (I believe the ZIP is out because you won't be allowed to install the page on a removeable media drive) and the page file is needed you want to make sure that you have the page file allocated to your 2nd hd or on the primary.

microsoft recommends 1.5 * amount of phy ram = page file size

on another IDE channel, if possible, as noted previously

my machine here at work is running 512 phy ram w/o a page file. I dont notice any slowness or errors relating to this.

Generally, 512mb of ram will guarentee that the page file will be loney...1 gig and it's got a broken heart! :) If you are running an intensive audio mastering software package using say 64 tracks of simultaneous wave files or a huge engineering CAD program and were running less thana 1 gig, your page file would be working hard! That is why I went to 2 gigs with Adobe audition in my recording studio. With one gig my page file log was fairly long....2 gigs, and it's never accessed!!!! So I suggest that if you have less than 1 gig, set up a page file log and see what happens.

is adobe auditions a pretty easy program to use after you just play around for a week? or do you really have to read up on stuff. also thats just a tracking program right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom