Network 2 Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrserv0n

Baseband Member
I have a Dlink Router hooked up and 2 PCs running Windows XP, One with PRO one with HOME, They are both on the internet through the router and run fine. All I want to do is to be able to copy files from one computer to the other, I know how to enable file sharing and all that but I can't get either computer to see the other one, how do you do it?

try going to start..run..type CMD...then type "ping *insert computer name here* so it looks like this Ping TF where TF is the name of the computer you're wanting to reach...if it comes back with a reply then go to windows explorer....and type \\TF

then you should be in....if it doesn't come back with a reply...ask on how to setup a home network with internet :D i hope i didn't confuse the heck out of you :D lol

Well, check the IP address of both computers. You can do this by typing cmd in the run line and typing ipconfig. This will give you your ip address. Verify that both IP's are in range (in a typical example from a dlink router). What you would want to see is the following;
computer IP
----------------------------------
One 192.168.0.100
Two 192.168.0.101

If the first three sections (192.168.0) dont match, or are set to something like 169.228.1.229 then you propably have not set up DHCP on your D-Link. If the first three sections do match, then I would suggest temporarily dropping your firewall (on both computers) and try again.
If I remember right there are great articles on the D-Link site about configuring the DHCP, and are much more worthy of your reading.
However for further reading on your firewalls, I would suggest the manufacturer of the firewall that you are using (Microsoft, Symantec etc..)

I do not use a firewall program just have a router, I dont know if you can disable that, I do get proper IP address when I do IPconfig so DHCP seems to be setup. I looked online to disable windows firewall and it says click security button in control panel but neither PC has this icon, where do I find the disable windows firewall option?

Great information. The next thing that I would do is a ping test.
1) Click on start | run then type cmd then click ok
2) Type ping 192.168.0.100 then press enter (replace with the correct IP for the machine opposite of the one you are using)

If the ping responds with packets, then either your firewall (on your windows machine) or your router is blocking the request.

Also try running the command "\\192.168.0.100" in your run line and see what happens (of course replace with the correct IP for the machine opposite of the one you are using)

In some cases your Antivirus software will replace your windows firewall (i.e. Norton Systems Works). You will need to disable the antivirus software firewall settings, not the windows ones if this is the case.

In response to your question above, if you are using windows XP SP2 or higher then you have this option. If you are not in SP2, then you will not have this option. If you are in the category view of Windows XP, then you want to choose "Security Center". If you are in the classic view, then you want to choose "windows firewall".

Like I mentioned before, your router could also be blocking this communication. In a web browser, navigate to "http://192.168.0.1" (this is the default admin page for d-link routers I beleive). Also the default login is admin and there is a blank password.

it would probably be simpler to right click my computer select properties. click computer name, then change. now you can either change the windows home to workgroup or the pro to mshome. you can acess files from shared folders now

or for better control, you can click, start program, accessories, communication, network setup wizard and run that on both computers

hey guys. I never done it this way. so if I ping my ip's to all of my computers (I have 4 plus the one, that my 14 year old daughter built), I would automatically have setup my own network, without running the network set up wizard?

No, all pinging does is test the network to see if you get a response from the other computer. If you cant ping the other machine, then it doesn't matter what workgroup you are in. Defining the workgroup only groups those computer together for ease of use.

The network setup wizard seems to cause confusion for many people, so if someone is asking questions about networking and they already have their internet working I try to avoid offering this suggestion (as many people will try runing their internet from one machine and sharing it with another, or some other configuration that may break what is already working for them).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom