Underclocking 6600GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeisalsocool

Daemon Poster
So I've noticed that it runs at 300MHz in 2D mode, would it be a problem to drop it down to 250 or even 200?
Idle temps are between 45 and 50C which isn't too bad but I woudn't mind taking that down a bit.
I've already looked into the Zalman VF700Cu cooler, which I'll definatley be buying, I'm just trying to get rid of as much heat as possible.
Thanks,
-Joe

Don't underclock it, because then you won't be getting the performance that you paid for. Temperateures are OK up to about 90C. The Zalman will make a big difference.

I mean just for 2D mode, 3D mode will still be at 500MHz. I really dont need performance when surfing the web and writing papers and what not. I just wanted to know if it is safe.
Thanks for the reply
-Joe

Yes just enable coolbits, and go thru the overclock ( but underclock )

In 2dmode, he is not going to notice a difference at all...

Temperature or speed wise DJ? And can I use the built in Nvidia OC thing, or should I go through the registry. I know it does the same thing both ways.
Or wait... you use coolbits to open the temperature window in the Nvidia properties anyways, and mine is already there. Check. Sweet, thanks a bunch.

if i were you i wouldnt underclock it. You wont gain anything from it. If anything it my damage the gpu having to make the bigger just in speed when you go into game.

I've seen 6600GTs running over 100 degrees and still working fine so those temperatures really aren't something to be concerned with

gaara said:
I've seen 6600GTs running over 100 degrees and still working fine so those temperatures really aren't something to be concerned with

Lowers the life substantially.

Meh, not substantially, GFX cards run MUCH hotter than any CPU at stock speeds. Underclocking it will do nothing, except possibly stability issues with the card, though I'm not sure. Like was said, it may be detrimental. You will gain nothing, absolutely NOTHING, from underclocking your card. There is no reason to do it.

50ºC idle is GOOD, especially for a stock cooler! I had an FX5600 and it idled at 61ºC. Get the Zalman, and then overclock it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom