Master/Slave IDE cable trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem Solved but Read Story

Okay all is noted....

The system does have 2 IDE ports.

I didn't pay the secondary one any attention b/c Shuttle had filled it with their special IDE cable for the optical drive. (its not anything special about it, its just a regular IDE cable with SHUTTLE all over it). And I was thinking it didn't have one based on the fact that I didn't fill the port personally. I know, great logic.

So I decided to check the HDD seperately and wanted to see if I can see the bios screen. So I keep the HDD as master and ran it seperately. No power. I unplugged the IDE cable. And much to my chagrin I'll be damn if that damn thing didn't start spinning. Well, this eliminated the jumper settings, possibility of have bad IDE cables, and while I'm ruling stuff off, might as well rule out the HDD and DVD writer just because I can :) Hell, I will go as far as saying Shuttle didn't sell a botch system. (atleast to me anyway heehee)

So I figured the only explanation for this could be the MoBo. So as I started tampering. I noticed the heatsink was loose. So I wiggled it, and then decided to take it off. And low and behold....*drum roll* THE DAMN THING DIDN'T HAVE A PROCESSOR!

After the initial embarassment, I consulted my friend on the issue and they informed me that this was the display model. So I don't know if they take the processors out of the displays to avoid theft. Or if it was actually stolen out of the display. I'll find this out after they take it back to the store.

So there you have it....no processor. Moral of this thread. Check your display/open box items very carefully. This is a great way to start my posting here on this site....well atleast you guys/gals know how I received my screenname. I'll take my Homer Simpson DOH Award now.

::Cheers::

umm.. if its displace i don think it will have a CPU in it unless the box says barebone kit mobo and cpu thenyou need to go to the store and talk to them. If i was you i would call them up and ask maybe you get a free cpu.

Well the salesman informed my friend that the barebone unit came with a AMD 64 processor. They are definately takin it back to try and get a new CPU installed.

StupidRalph said:
Well the salesman informed my friend that the barebone unit came with a AMD 64 processor. They are definately takin it back to try and get a new CPU installed.

Well then go and get it then.:D:D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom