PC Upgrades - What To Get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can afford that, yeah that is a very good gfx card. If you're on a lower budget, you want to go for the vanilla 6800 (eVGA), or a 6600GT.

Aye, I think that's just in range. Just found it for a wee bit cheaper, too - £209/$363 :)

As for CPU, I think I'm going to go for AMD (Venice) Athlon 64Bit 3200+ Socket 939pin 512k L2cache 90nm. I read that Venice was the best line of this CPU, or something to that ilk anyway.

That's priced at £131.75/$229.15

I'm not going to purchase yet, got a bit of saving to do, and maybe by the time I have money prices may drop or I may find them cheaper, who knows. But thanks very much for your advice, you've been great :)

Just a note, kick me if you know this already, but be sure that your motherboard supports the 3200+. If the mobo isn't 939 pin, then you wont be able to use it... if your not planning on upgrading the mobo already.

Sorry if you knew this already, I just had to say it and hopefully save you some pain if you didn't know.

if you can't afford a motherboard with the new processor and videocard, than go for anything between an AthlonXP 2500+ and the 2800+. make sure that your motherboard supports them too.

if you have the XP 2500-2800 and a 6600GT, you'll be in good shape.

Thanks for the heads up guys, I was going to check to see if my mobo wa compatible, as i had the feeling that it might not be. I'm still not entirely sure yet though.

Is the only way to check to have a wee look at it, or do the manufacturers usually have a website where you can check compatability?

If it's not compatable, I'll just save up a for a little bit longer so I can get a new mobo :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom