Money not loading/Reboot defaults settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

purpleinnej

Beta member
I have recently switched ISP's (dial-up to cable modem). In doing so, there was no pop-up blocker for the new service. I had a crap-load of adware and sypware on my computer. I dl'd, updated, and ran the following: Ad-Adware SE, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, CWShredder, and Clean-It. I have always had Norton and LiveUpdate runs automatically. The computer was running slow, so I also did a Disk cleanup and defrag. I should also mention that when Norton was finding ad-/spy-ware, I was having trouble getting one program to delete (even in safe mode it wouldn't go) and I ran regedit and messed with stuff. I may have screwed up something in there. (I also ctrl+alt+del and ended some processes if I didn't recognize what they were for.) PROBLEM: Sometimes, when I reboot, my start menu, folder options, desktop, etc. all go back to default, but not every reboot. Also, I use Microsoft Money. It wouldn't open and since there was no uninstall, I removed it using Add/Remove Programs. Where it tells you the last time you used the program it said 6/14/04, which isn't true. Not sure what's going on, but I removed the program, deleted all the old Money files and reinstalled it. Still not working. Double click on the icon, plays money's startup music, and there's a rectangle in the middle of the screen with the money logo, but it never actually goes into the program. When I open a new window (Internet Explorer) and then minimize it, that rectangle stays whatever was in the window I just had open. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

~Jenni Deiderich =Þ

P.S. I have everything backed up and all discs required if I have to do a Restore, but I would prefer to avoid that if at all possible.

why not do a system restore ?

I remember the good days when it was unusual for me not to find atleast 2k spyware files on my comp. Now i dont even have 1, havnt found 1 at all, been using this PC a week and a bit.

I am always afraid to do a system restore. What am I not thinking of that I will need after I do it? I have the restore discs that came with the computer, but is that all I need for the OS?? What have I forgotten to back up that I won't remember until it's too late? That's all. If I have to do that, I have to do that. If I don't get any other solutions by tonight, I'm going to resort to that. If that's the case, do you know where I can find step-by-step instructions? I've never done one myself before. (This computer's had one done but it was by my tech buddies when I still worked at Best Buy.)

~Jenni

I do not understand how you people get so much spyware...

About Your Problem...

I think the best solution to your problem is to reinstall windows, the
"good" way.

1. Insert any windows cd with the same build as the one already on your computer. (or the cd that came with your computer)

2. Boot your computer with the cd. (youll have to figure out how to select a boot first device, look in system manuals)

3. Get any drivers that are necessary to run your computer. (usually only SATA drivers, and they must be on a floppy)

4. If you have any drivers, add them to install when prompted. (my cd asks "Press F6 to install any third-party SATA raid drivers")

5. Let it boot next screen and select "Install Windows" or something of that sort, usually you are asked to press enter to select this option.

6. Say yes to the EULA (duh)

7. If setup asks you to select a partition, select the one that has your OS on it.

8. Choose the "repair windows" option, this will keep all of your personal files but delete all system files (including all of those pesky spyware files, if im right) and then reinstalls all of the system files. (the ones on the cd)

Hopefully this will work :rolleyes:

TAKE HEED that if you do not have all the necessary install files the system might give you another problem all in its own. :p

Spyware is an enternal fight for PC users. Use killdisk then reformate with windows if you have a back up before you became infected with spyware.

More steps taken

Okay, so I decided that I needed to start from scratch-kind of. I have "Restore CD"s that came with my computer (2 discs). I put disc one in the cdrom drive, restarted the computer. It gave me 3 options, System Restore (tried that, it didn't work). A non-destructive format option, and a total reformat option. I chose the non-destructive one. It said it would put all my old files into a folder on the C: drive and basically format everything else. Problem 1, it says "please insert disc 2" and pops out my DVD drive. CDRom Drive cannot be opened manually, and it won't read the CD from the DVD drive (duh). So I just hit cancel and it kept going. Okay, so now things are looking pretty normal. But I keep getting an error that says

"Message from System to User on *date* *time*

Error Code: 2341

Invalid entries have been detected in your Windows Registry. Download the latest tool to fix these problems.

www.RegScan.net

(my stupidity and messing with my registry is what got me into this mess) and go to a website, download (and pay) for their product and it will be fixed. Any suggestions? Like a free registry "doctor"? Or should I just put in the Restore CD and choose the total reformat option? Thanks for being so helpful!!

~Jenni

I do not understand how you people get so much spyware...

**No pop-up blocker i guess?**

1. Insert any windows cd with the same build as the one already on your computer. (or the cd that came with your computer)

**All I have are the Restore CDs. Will that work?**

2. Boot your computer with the cd. (youll have to figure out how to select a boot first device, look in system manuals)

**Check**

3. Get any drivers that are necessary to run your computer. (usually only SATA drivers, and they must be on a floppy)

**What? I don't know how to check for that.**

4. If you have any drivers, add them to install when prompted. (my cd asks "Press F6 to install any third-party SATA raid drivers")

**Don't know if mine will ask or not. What should I do if it doesn't ask?**

5. Let it boot next screen and select "Install Windows" or something of that sort, usually you are asked to press enter to select this option.

**Since I've already run the Restore CDs I know Install Windows isn't an option.**

6. Say yes to the EULA (duh)

7. If setup asks you to select a partition, select the one that has your OS on it.

8. Choose the "repair windows" option, this will keep all of your personal files but delete all system files (including all of those pesky spyware files, if im right) and then reinstalls all of the system files. (the ones on the cd)

Hopefully this will work

TAKE HEED that if you do not have all the necessary install files the system might give you another problem all in its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom