XP Home - XP64

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharpobjectss

Baseband Member
If i buy the 88 dollar XPHome OEM package, how much would i cost to upgrade to XP64 (if possible) later down the road?

And if i bought the OEM package would that make a difference, or would I need the retail box.

i dont mean to be a pain, but i plan on ordering some things tonight and I dont know if i should go with the XP Home or XP64 processor. If i can upgrade from HOME to XP64 later then that is the road i will take, does anyone know if this is possible?

I think you can't do that with the OEM version - I'm not sure.

You don't want XP 64 any way. Wait until Microsoft Vista comes out.

Windows x64 is a Professional version, so I doubt you could 'upgrade', if by that you mean trading in the license for free.

You cannot 'upgrade' from any previous version OS to Windows x64, for your information. It has to be a fresh install.

Also, Windows x64 is a perfectly stable and great OS to use on a daily basis, which I do. So, it isn't something that you "wouldn't want anyway."

You can only trade for XP64 if you have a XP Pro already. It can be OEM or retail. But yeah, you'd probably want to wait for Windows Vista, since Microsoft has spent over 5 years developing it, while I'm not that sure about XP 64. Also, finding 64-bit drivers might be a hassle. You may want to try the trail version of XP 64 to test for compatibility.

Hope this helps!

thanks for all the help, im going to keep my older version of windows and wait for vista which i believe i saw the release date at like 2006 or some such, could be wrong, oh well. thanks again :)

Uh, XP Pro x64 is just Server 2003 recompiled for 64 bit, essentially.

There was plenty of development in that kernel, and it is rock solid stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom