Are these systems decent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wigdean

Solid State Member
I've been asked to build 2 PC's, one for gaming and one for basic use (internet, MS Word, etc..) and have been given a budget. After a long look around I've come up with these parts:

Gaming Machine:

Mobo - Asus A7V600-X KT600
Processor - AMD Athlon XP2500+ Barton
Graphics - 128mb ATI Radeon 9600 XT
Memory - 512mb Corsair XMS DDR PC2700 (Cas2)
HDD - 80gb IBM 7200rpm 2mb cache

Basic Machine:

Mobo - Asus A7V8X-X KT400
Processor - AMD Athlon XP2200+
Graphics - 128mb ATI Radeon 9200SE
Memory - 256mb DDR PC2700 (Major Brand)
HDD - 80gb IBM 7200rpm 2mb cache

Now I know that the parts on the basic machine aren't anything special, but they don't need to be, and considering it's only going to cost £230 ($410) it's not too bad imo. What do you think?

Now the gaming one is my biggest worry. I've been told the graphics card is good and should have no problems with all the new games but what about the rest of the parts? I'll be paying around £500 ($892) for it which again isn't too bad in my opinion.

Anyone care to give any advice, guidelines, help, suggestions?
:D

I run that mother board (ASUS a7v600) on my personal gaming computer and have been very satisfied with it. Thumbs up

gaming rig looks like a decent one and office work one thats great for the price imo
But for that gaming rig that hard drive has 2mb cache if its suppost to do gaming get a nice fat 8mb cache or you'll truely be sorry

They both look like great systems, and surprisingly the gaming system looks like a system I'm building myself for a friend. The only thing that I would change is the HDD on the gaming system.

I've noticed that the 8mb cache seems to make a big difference. I would suggest getting a WD800JB or something equal to it. The other system should be fine with the 2mb cache since it's just doing basic operations.

I am very surprised at your replies. I was expecting everyone to say how bad they were. :D

A HDD with 8mb cache adds about £5 to the price which is nothing really. Hopefully getting the first of these systems built tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies.

video card

hate to be a downer but i dont think the 9600 xt is that great
ive read muiltple sites with comparisons to the 9500 and 9700 and it its severly worse

but if you intend to stay within budget go for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom