Fan Outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanker

Banned
Motherboard Fan Outlet Question

I opened my CPU for the first time in many months. In those months, I've learned a lot about the inside workings of CPUs. However, I was surprised to find that there was a curved...thing...that was right in front of the motherboard fan that was directing the air out of the case through the back. I thought this was very illogical and took it out so that there would be more space inside. But now my dad tells me that that outlet was there to let that fan air out, so that new air would come inside from other holes in the case. I'm a little skeptical about this, so I wanted to confirm this with others.

Help?

ok i would leave it in there. inless u replace the heatsink and fan and why do u need more room its a dell or an hp or something?? makes no sence to take that out it makes it so that the heat doesnt go all over the case and heat other parts

timmer said:
why do u need more room its a dell or an hp or something??

Yes, its a HP lol. From my 2001 naive days.

But what I'm concerned about is that, if I take that out, will air really come in from other places in the case? If no more air comes in, won't that leave pockets of static air in some places of the case? If I leave it off, then, yes, air will go all over the case, but it will also leave through the larger holes in the case which are being used to expel the air from the fan right now.

I really need help on this one.

i wouldn't worry to much about it. Just keep in mind that air should flow through the case. Front and side fans blow air into the case, back and top mounted fans should blow out.

It is my opinion that the "curved thing" was in fact a duct that carries fresh air to the CPU heatsink. Removing it will probably have no effect. Maybe a few extra degrees, but i doubt you'll ever see any change unless you try to overclock it..

don't take that thing out man... that would screw up your computer.. why do you want to take it out anyway??

generally, this is meant for two different things depending on the design of the cooling system, either A) to bring fresh cooler air for the fan on the processor to use to provide cheap cooling, or to extract hot air from around the processor.

Though, this may sound like a genius system, for anything fairly recent it is generally worthless.

that thing is designed to keep it cool. why would you remove a device that is helping you? It's not 'blocking' air from going anywhere. It's helping contain the CPU's heat and pulling it out of the back before the other devices catch it's warmth. My dad's old dell has one, and it's fine! Just remember, it's HELPING you...

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom