i'm an idiot...so now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericcjensen

Solid State Member
So in the process of installing a new videocard I pulled a bonehead move.

I thought of dusting off my mobo, memory, etc before I installed the card. Here's where the stupid part comes...I took out the memory, dusted it off, and SLIPPED IT IN THE WRONG WAY. Yeah it didn't snap in quite right, but being a @#$@#%ing moron I didn't notice.

So then I turned it on, the POST gave off a beeping sound (bad memory), and I smelled a strange burning sound. After turning it off, it turned out that I fried the memory stick...the slot shows little black burn marks, and the memory shows the same marks, where I tried inserting the memory (incorrectly).

It's not that bad, I HOPE. The lights come on when I turn on the computer, so I'm hoping that I just wrecked the memory slot, not the whole MB. Also, it was just 256 MB of memory. I'm hoping that I just need to buy another stick of memory (512 MB I guess, for $40 from newegg), and try it again. (the right way, of course!)

Is there anything else I should do? Do you think the computer is okay? Nothing else appears to be burnt.

Thanks,

Eric

well it may or may not work sounds like you fried you mobo dude. it may work but i dont think it will who knows.

lol

funny sad story dude

next time use half your brain at least
im my experience you really have to be stonned not to notice something like that

did that before, thank god it was a 5 year old computer. it still works, just that the ram and that 1 slot doesn't work anymore

So is there any way to tell whether my motherboard is fried or not? This would save me a lot of trouble deciding between shopping for new memory and having a computer funeral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom