New Heat Sink Fiasco, any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Ok, I'm sorry to make yet another post, but you guys are EXTREMELY helpful. I have an Aero Cool Copper Heat Sink, I installed it things were ok , but a little hot for idle. Then whamo, lockup. I popped in my old heatsink/combo and it worked fine. My question, the heat sink CAME with Artic Silver 5 compound. HOWEVER, in the instructions it lists that you SHOULD apply to the 2 AMD CPU's it's compatible with but says NOTHING about applying any to the Intel CPU. I DID put some on, even though the instructions didn't say anything EITHER way.

Is it possible this combo does NOT require Grease?

And last, if you put too much grease on, can you get lockups, or non-boots???

Any help if appreciated, very frustrated.

All CPU and HSF require that you add some kind of thermal paste to them, It helps heat travel from the CPU core up thro the HSF.

If you put to much on, it will casue a crappy bond between the CPU and HSF, and therfore casue it to get hot and lockup.

Thanks! How much thermal paste do you put on the thing?? I'm going to clean it off and try again, but this time I want to get things right.

Would a small dab in the center do it, or do I need to smear it all over?

One last question. I'm up and running, temps seem cool. Question, should I shut the system down for a while and let it set or just go ahead and use it as normal? Haven't tried to run a game or put any type of load on the system.

TipsySmile said:
All CPU and HSF require that you add some kind of thermal paste to them, It helps heat travel from the CPU core up thro the HSF.

Well, some HSF's dont require any compund. Instead of compound, some HSF's use a built in pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom