Removing OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

novacaine98

Baseband Member
My mom has a Dell Inspiron 1100 that came with XP Home installed on it. The other day my dad installed XP PRO on the same partition. My mom wants me to take XP PRO off of it but I don't know how. Can someone please help me?

The cd i have has XP PRO Corp, XP PRO Retail, XP Pro OEM, XP Home Retail, XP Home OEM, and XP Media Center 2005. I have no idea what the revert to previous OS option is.

You can use Partition magic to reformat the the XP and add it to your current partition. You'll then have to edit your boot menu. (I think the directions are on the microsoft website)

Ok my mom told me to just reformat the entire hard drive and install a fresh copy of XP Home. I put in my cd and booted into the XP Setup. Deleted the partitions, created new partitions, reformatted, and reinstalled XP Home. However when I boot up I still have a boot menu that has 2 options for XP Home and 1 option for XP Pro. I can't boot into any of them as they all say "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll" but how do I get rid of those other two boot options?

inside XP go to START>RUN>MSCONFIG then in the msconfig go to the tab that says BOOT.INI....click the button that says check all boot paths..it will say that the two listed are not valid and if you wish to remove them from the list, select YES. Now you should get no more boot options and boot straight into windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom