Motherboard Restriction on Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanker

Banned
I'm just starting to really get into the hardware of computers, and I've learned a lot, however, I still do not know what part of a computer or the Motherboard restricts a computer from going past a set maximum memory limit. For example: My computer right now cannot go past 512MB of memory...Why? What is keeping it from going past it? I'll be building my own computer, and I want to buy a new motherboard, so I want to know how I can go up to, say, 1.5 GB of memory.

Most newer mobos will support 3 to 4 Gig of RAM. Although 1 gig seems to be the "normal" ammount most people will install.

It is my understanding that things like CAD would be the only thing that would utilize 3 to 4 gig of RAM. (excluding servers of course.)

Oops! to answer your question: why can my mobo only support 512MB of RAM? Thats just the way its built. Kinda like a car's gas tank will only hold as much as the mfg has deemed necessary. :)

"Athlon 64/Sempron, Socket 754, nForce3 250, ATX, 3GB DDR, 800MHz FSB "

Thats what I got from a website. What part of that says what the maximum memory it can support is? Or does it not say at all?

first off, don't buy a socket 754 mobo. Go with socket 939.

The "3GB DDR" part states that the mobo will support up to 3 GB of RAM.

Where it says 3 GB

Most new motherboard's can support 4, unless you get some crappy shady motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom