Cooling question from an amateur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the side of my case off, and now my CPU temp is down to 45-46C(just idling).

And about the Single Channel RAM you guys mentioned, should it be set to something else?

If you have 2 sticks of ram, it should be set to "Dual Channel"

Another stick doubles your bandwidth, and doubles your space

Den said:
I took the side of my case off, and now my CPU temp is down to 45-46C(just idling).

And about the Single Channel RAM you guys mentioned, should it be set to something else?

Ya, usually on mobos like yours, if you have 2 similar sticks of RAM, they will run in dual channel mode, which allows for a little more data transfer to and from the RAM. Dont worry too much about it, as the performance increase is very little.

If you do want to run your RAM in dual channel, and you might as well, check your mobo manual to see which DIMM slots need to be filled on your mobo to make the RAM run in dual channel. Yours will probably be 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 (Put one stick of RAM in slot 1 and the other in 3).

There is also a BIOS setting that you might have to enable once the RAM is in the correct slots. The BIOS setting will actually say, "Dual Channel Enabled" or something to that effect, so it will be easy to find.

Like I mentioned, If you cant get dual channel to work, then dont worry about it as it only gives about 1% to 4% performance increase:(

I have 2 sticks of 512MB DDR PC3200 RAM and both are taking up the only 2 slots I have. So moving the sticks to other slots, is unfortuntely not an option for me.

I went to the ASUS website, to look at your mobo, and it turns out your mobo cant run dual channel anyways. So, like I said, dont worry about it. You arent missing out on much.

Thanks, I thought I read that somewheres in my manual before. You guys have been an enormous help so far, and I really appreciate it. :)

Here is a tip for prescott users:

The stock HSF for LGA775 package prescotts, is the best cooling solution for air cooling.

For 478-pin prescotts, an aftermarket HSF*high rpm/high CFM* with AS5 is the best air cooling solution.

*as of now, I am trying to find someone/benchmarks, of a stock lga775 hsf that has the pad off, and replaced it with AS5*

uzi9mm said:
Here is a tip for prescott users:

The stock HSF for LGA775 package prescotts, is the best cooling solution for air cooling.

For 478-pin prescotts, an aftermarket HSF*high rpm/high CFM* with AS5 is the best air cooling solution.

*as of now, I am trying to find someone/benchmarks, of a stock lga775 hsf that has the pad off, and replaced it with AS5*

What??!!? So you dont think a zalman7700 will bring down my temps????

I think you are better off with a stock HSF.

I got a 2.8 oc'd to 3.0ghz (i can go higher by the way)

I get 32c idle, 49c full load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom