ATI Radeon 9800SE better than 6600GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humbucker

In Runtime
I recently replace my unreliable Radeon 9800SE 256MB with a Leadtek A6600GT TDH 128MB and I was told to expect a rise in graphical quality etc. I've correctly cleaned out all the old ATI drivers with Driver Cleaner pro, have the newest Nvidia drivers etc but there's no doubt in my mind that the Radeon 9800SE performed better. I'm hoping it's a case of changing some settings or something to rectify this cos I was really expecting outstanding and improved performance with this card. I have my resolution set to 1024x768 and colour at 32-bit. I'm new to this card so a few of the settings do confuse me somewhat - in the Nvidia settings menu there is a system performance tab with the following options:-

High performance
Performance
Quality
High Quality

Quality is the default, which is what I have selected. I was just wondering if any other of you 6600GT owners could give me some pointers(without overclocking) on how to get the best out of it. Maybe there's something I'm missing cos I can't believe my Radeon 9800SE outperforms this. Is it maybe the fact the Radeon was 256MB and this is 128MB? Like I say, I'm not really very in-the-know about graphical stuff so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

:)

The 6600GT completly owns it.

You should try to run a benchmark like 3dmark 03 by futuremark to see if your peformance is going good against other 9800SE's and 6600GT's

The SE is the garbage version of the 9800 version anyways. Do a bench and I guantee you'll score higher with the 6600.

The newest nvidia drivers (77.72) suck. Try the 71.89 drivers, are a lot faster for me.

I have mine set to "high quality". And try playing whatever games you are playin in a higher resolution. Dont use aa or af.....what exactly are you doing that u notice it worse??

003 said:
The newest nvidia drivers (77.72) suck. Try the 71.89 drivers, are a lot faster for me.

I got Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell with the card and after installation something come up saying I had to have the latest drivers otherwise I wouldn't be able to play them, so if I went back it might cause problems - not that these 2 games are that important to me really though.

Heyyo,

Yeah, the 6600gt should beat the 9800se. If not then maybe the card's not getting enough power, or the drivers could suck like 003 said.

vaderpro said:
I have mine set to "high quality". And try playing whatever games you are playin in a higher resolution. Dont use aa or af.....what exactly are you doing that u notice it worse??

OK I'll set it to "high quality" to see if that makes a difference. AA and AF are set to "application controlled", is that the way it should be for good performance? I only really play FIFA 2005 regularly and when I see close up shot's of the players etc they don't move as smoothly as they did with the Radeon. Also the overall colours just don't look as colourful and pleasing to the eye.

Humbucker said:
OK I'll set it to "high quality" to see if that makes a difference. AA and AF are set to "application controlled", is that the way it should be for good performance? I only really play FIFA 2005 regularly and when I see close up shot's of the players etc they don't move as smoothly as they did with the Radeon. Also the overall colours just don't look as colourful and pleasing to the eye.

Yes, leave it on application controlled, and only adjust with in-game settings for a loss of FPS. If you are experiencing any tearing issues you can try turning v-sync on; again use in game settings if possible, but if they dont have it, then try card settings. With the color issues......I have my digital vibrance at low and gamma to 0.88, adjust brightness and contrast to your likeness but usually turn it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom