Removable Disk problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurph

In Runtime
My work PC using XP (latest updates etc) is now not recognizing removable disks, i.e. cameras and mp3 players.
They connect satisfactorily, and logo at bottom right corner is visible, but drive does not appear in My Computer.

It defaults these devices to E:/ which is already used, is there a setting to change this "to next available drive"??

after installing SP2, my puter no longer recognizes my removable USB/Firewire DVD+rw. May be an sp2 issue??

Have had to set my work/network drive to G:, as all removable disks want to be E: and now works successfully.
But shouldn't have to do this as they should automatically find next available drive!!!

you could also go into computer management and change soem of your drive letters around

Thats what i have done, I changed work/network drive from E: to G:, because removable disks will only connect to E:, but they shouldn't they should automatically got to next available drive!!
Is there a setting somewhere that is incorrect?

right, what you do is plug in one of your removable drives, go to computer management and assign it a drive letter you will always remember. then unplug it, and plug in your next removable drive and assign it a drive letter you will always remember.

thanx for reply, but why do I want and need to remember them?
I want to use E: as network drive, therefore I need to stop removable drives trying to select E: which they shouldn't do!

if you dont want your removable devices to take E then map your network drive to E now, and take your removable devices off of E, and make them F or soemthing, that's really the only way to make this work unless u were to set your network drive to X, Y, or Z(which is what i do, and thats wat my school does)

Thanks for your reply again, yes this is a way around the problem.
But I want to resolve the problem so that my PC automaically detects new removable disks and allocates them the next available drive no., which is what is suposed to happen (it happens on all colleagues PCs).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom