Graphics Card Problem (Need Help BAD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelpMeTT

Beta member
I have an integrated 64mb GeForce 4 MX graphics card (i know its crappy) and I just got half life 2 and it said that my graphics driver was out of date, so it gives me a link to upgrade it:

http://nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

So then I go into:

Graphics Driver>GeForce and TNT2>Windows XP/2000

It then takes me to this page:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_77.72.html

From that page I select Primary Download Site, and then I accept the terms and agreements and all of that stuff. While its downloading, I open this link:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_installation_hints.html

It tells me that before I get the new drivers, I have to uninstall the old one and whatever else the instructions says not to do, so I go ahead and do that. The download then finishes and I have to restart the computer.

Once I get back on, I fire up Counter STrike: SOurce, and the screen starts to flicker, and a message pops up and says:

Failed to set video mode- resetting to defaults.
Game will now restart with new video settings.

So I click ok, then it flickers and repeats the same message again 3 more times. After 3 times, a message pops up saying:

Failed To Set Video Mode:
THis game has a minimum requirment of DirectX 7.0 compatible software.

So I go and re-install DirectX 9.0C( which I already had before) and its still doing the same time. What should I do to fix this?

Get a new video card. That card cant run HL2, are you crazy?

Is it the 420 or the 440?

HelpMeTT said:
I have an integrated 64mb GeForce 4 MX graphics card (i know its crappy) and I just got half life 2

You said right there that you just got half life 2, so how could you have been playing it? And if you have been playing it on this card, what is your question? Clearly it works.

Him said:
Get a new video card. That card CANNOT run HL2, are you crazy?

The Geforce 4 MX-XXX can run it, however the 440 is the only card that can run it at an acceptable framerate

My first thing would to be reinstall HL2

lol i had a pci 5500 128mb and it sucked big tymerz man lol yea seriuosly u wanna game like that get a new card start saving u should got a new video card befor u got a game that wont run

The card should run HL2/CSS on minimum graphics settings although it would definitely be a bit ropey at times. I'd suggest using some graphics tweaks in your cfg files to help maintain a decent framerate (I set up an MX420 recently and get a decent enough fps on CSS to play it).

Back to your original query - I had the same problem recently. The solution is to use an older version of the driver (71.69 if my memory serves me correctly).

thank you very much home5kin, finally somebody actually decided to help me instead telling me that my video card isnt good!

HelpMeTT said:
thank you very much home5kin, finally somebody actually decided to help me instead telling me that my video card isnt good!

I didnt tell you how crappy your card was, and said it should run it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom