Help Buying a Heat Sink + other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Hey All,

Hoping someone can give me some advice.

Running a 3.2ghz P4 Socket 478. Using the standard Intel alluminum heat sink and my system is getting too hot. I'd like someone to recomend a good copper heat sink for me. I've had great success ordering through NewEgg, so if you can recommend something from there even better! I'd like to get something that is simple to install, something that preferrably does NOT require me to install some funky mount that requires the MOBO to be removed.

Also, I've built my past 2 PC's but used the retail heat sinks which had the thermal tape. I've NEVER used the thermal paste. I see on the boxes of some copper heat sinks that if you use too much or too little of the paste you can mess up your CPU. That leaves me with 2 questions IF I have to use thermal paste.
1. I'm assuming some gunk will be left over on my CPU from the previous thermal tape, how can I remove this? (razor blade?)
2. How much of the paste do you use? I would assume I real thin layer covering the whole chip. Any tips on using paste would be greatly appreciated.

Any help would really be appreciated, if you need more info just ask.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118115

i got this one....i almost have the exact specs u do. and look at my OC!...so it works very well.....then only thing is. Make sure u have room in the case for it....it's a beast!

also the the other question...i would use rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip......and use arctic silver 5 thermal pase...works good...and spread a really thin later over the cpu...other than that...it's pretty easy

Hey, you stole my post!

All of the Zalman's are good, no matter what the size.

H4x3r is right, but if you do need smaller more compact heatsink check out the Thermaltake Venus / Volcano 12

Yeah im gonna get a new heatsink/fan. My stock is really gettin noisey/overworking. Is that Thermaltake the best and will it fit my case DJ? 14 cms , wow, that's big.

I was just checking the NewEgg specs on the Venus and Volcano and they are both listed for AMD processors so I'm guessing they won't work on my socket 478. Or will they?

And I like that big Zalman heat sink, but I'm looking in my case and my CPU is right under the power supply, I just don't know if it would fit. Ahh, dilemmas..

I have the Same CPU and with my Heatsink ive gotten to 3.8 and could go higher but windows wont boot when i hit 4Ghz

My CPU is running stable 36c and 40-43 underload.
and u can leave the fan on low so u cant hear it and it makes basically no differance to the temps.

Heres a link but thats an australian site,
http://www.techbuy.com.au/products/...GH-PDU21-MF_G-Power_Cooler_Pro_CPU_Cooler.asp

Gigabyte GH-PDU21-MF, G-Power Cooler Pro CPU Cooler

Raphael Argus said:
And I like that big Zalman heat sink, but I'm looking in my case and my CPU is right under the power supply, I just don't know if it would fit. Ahh, dilemmas..

ya my cpu is right under my psu too....the hsf barly (sp?) fits ...had to move some of the cooling fins to the sides....but it still works , i'll get some pics

these pics are of my old HSF before the zalman

PSU3.jpg

PSU2.jpg

PSU1.jpg

Raphael Argus said:
I was just checking the NewEgg specs on the Venus and Volcano and they are both listed for AMD processors so I'm guessing they won't work on my socket 478. Or will they?

I could have sworn one of them works on 478]

Anyways, they are not super quiet heatsinks, you do have a fan controler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom