aol....omg

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamstertube

Beta member
Hey guys... here's the deal.

I just flew in from Canada eh to Scotland, and my aunt immediately put me to work on her computer.

She tried to install AOL broadband... and when installing the drivers... it supposedly "finished" and needed to be rebooted in order to finalise everything.

Well... it's stuck in a perpetual state of install. Every time it tells me to reboot the computer, I do, and when it starts back up, it gives me the same message.

I'm figuring that it's put some files somewhere on my system that the setup exe detects... because I can't uninstall it since it hasn't finished yet... and if I try installing older drivers, it skips right to the reboot screen.

I've spent days trying to fix this... and i've been searching my butt off.... im going to have a nervous breakdown here *tears*.

Could anyone please help me... I would die a happy man I promise.

Thanks,

-Callum

Use your F-8 key and boot into safe-mode. From there I would try uninstalling AOL-Broadband if it will let you. If so try rebooting normally and go for another install.

once you are one the system, ignore the message and open the evenlog (Start, Run, Eventvwr) and look under application and System for Windows Installer errors. Then if you would, post the text of those message on here, so I can see them. They will tell you what is wrong.

man i feel for you, my folks have aol and i am constantly working on that dumb thing.

they refuse to use anything else.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

macdude: no, it doesn't come up in safe mode

tribalsun: I tried that, but it doesn't list the program in the add/remove thing in control panel... and when i try to use th euninstall proggie that came with it... it does nothing. (i couldn't even find it at first... all i saw was uninstall.ex_, and once i renamed it to .exe it turned into an icon, but did nothing)

inaris: i tried typing that in the run menu.. but it didn't work. I then looked it up and found out that there apparently IS no event viewer in windows ME... :\ figures hey.

zerox: yeah bud... it's horrible..... *hug* lol

I suppose i should clarify a little bit.
This program isn't EXACTLY aol...
It's a partnership between aol and BT broadband... aol provides the access and bt provides the modem i guess.
Because this program is the program that was supposed to install the drivers for the BT modem.
Every time I boot up i see: BT Voyager 105 ADSL Modem Setup Wizard.
Even so though... I can't imagine this company being very good if they team up with AOL.

i jsut wanna say thanks to you guys that responded already. i wasn't even expecting any reponse let alone so many so quickly.

SO... i'm totally at a loss of what to do...

i think a last resort would be to reinstall your os if that's not too much trouble and then try the install fresh.

inaris: i tried that... but found no proccess called msiexec running. so instead i killed everything except for kernel32.dll. Still no dice though...

zerox: rmm... i think that would be kind of a hassle... i don't know if my aunt has all of her cds... i don't even know if she still has her windows cd.

jeeze this is driving me insane.
and of course the aol tech support people are absolutely useless.

one guy told me
"uninstall aol from your computer, then go download the old drivers and install them".
okay, so i uninstall my internet connection, then go donwload something? genius lol

the aol people won't even let my aunt cancel, because she's on some contract. so they sent her a new modem instead which did absolutely squat.

maybe if she *****es enough they'll cancel...

unless you guys have any more ideas?

once again, thanks for all the help so far i really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom