Antistatic Wrist Strap -- Required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cssadmin

Baseband Member
Hi,
I just received all my computer parts from internet stores (thanks to the people at tech-forums) and am about to begin building my computer, but as I was looking for guides to building a computer on the internet, I ran across a lot of recommendations to wear a wrist strap. I'd just like to know whether wearing one is essential. I have upgraded my computer before (simple cd-rom drive, harddrive, and memory) without using an antistatic wrist strap and it worked fine. I don't think there is a lot of static charge in the air in the place where I live. So do you think I still need to buy one? Also, will wrapping my arm with a piece of metal wire, etc work the same as a wrist strap?

Thanks for your help.

cssadmin said:
Hi,
I just received all my computer parts from internet stores (thanks to the people at tech-forums) and am about to begin building my computer, but as I was looking for guides to building a computer on the internet, I ran across a lot of recommendations to wear a wrist strap. I'd just like to know whether wearing one is essential. I have upgraded my computer before (simple cd-rom drive, harddrive, and memory) without using an antistatic wrist strap and it worked fine. I don't think there is a lot of static charge in the air in the place where I live. So do you think I still need to buy one? Also, will wrapping my arm with a piece of metal wire, etc work the same as a wrist strap?

Thanks for your help.

Get a wrist strap, attach it to the chassis of your cpu case. What a shame it would be to zap your motherboard, RAM, HDD or whatever and have to buy a new one. The static shock you get when you touch something metal is around 3500 to 4500 volts, it only takes a charge of 400 volts to damage a pc component. Sometimes it takes days, weeks, months for the damage to become apparent while using your cpu.

If you cant get one, do it in a non-carpeted area. Such as a workshop, floor of your unfinished basement or garage, any material that is a poor conductor of electricity and static:

Ex.) Rubber, Concrete, Porcelain, Etc...

It isn't essential, when I first built my PC I burrowed one from school, but I don't use them anymore, even when I took the PC completly apart to add a new heatsink.

What I do now, is just touch a unpainted part of my case. If I move around even a little bit (I wear jeans, and have carpet all over my house, so static builds up quickly.) I just brush my hand over a little lever that sticks out, where it is designed to have the wristband attatched to.

if you dont use a strap,.. either make sure you are touching your case with one hand while working... or at least touch the case first to discharge yourself befor touching your parts.

Chick in my office here screwed up a hd pretty good. I was workin on gettin a laptop hard drive goin, i finally got the damn thing goin, and she was like,,, really did you get it??? she came running in across the carpet and touched the drive to make sure it was spinning, zap, hurt her so bad that it made her cry, lol heard the pop across the room.

BASSMASTER said:
Oh yeah, I forgot

Dont use the wrist strap when servicing your power supply or CRT

Don't repair CRT's or Power Supply's unless you are trained, not even I will touch a CRT. One wrong move is your life

lol i built my wjole pc on a carpet then toulk it apart and put it back together on the carpet again and it runs fine lol
do it on ur kitchen table or something man or a counter top

I have been building and repairing PCs, laptops, repairing network equipment, and any other things that have integrated circuits for probably 10 years now and have never lost a component to ESD. (Electrostatic discharge)

That being said, your mileage may vary. (And usually most places I end up working are carpeted because I do a lot of work in other peoples houses or offices)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom