Help me pick out a notebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer Toshiba myself. That model will have a very loud fan on it...just as a warning. But that's because of the processor. However, Toshiba's are great quality lappys.

As far as gaming....those only have a 64 Meg card, don't expect to play too many new games. Though, I myself have found Unreal Tournament to be a nice trip down memory lane on my Toshiba. damn that game is addictive.

eipeks said:
I prefer Toshiba myself. That model will have a very loud fan on it...just as a warning. But that's because of the processor. However, Toshiba's are great quality lappys.

As far as gaming....those only have a 64 Meg card, don't expect to play too many new games. Though, I myself have found Unreal Tournament to be a nice trip down memory lane on my Toshiba. damn that game is addictive.

Do you think it will play Halo PC?

Yes it will play Halo, but that is the max probably.

I would go w/ the Toshiba as it comes w/ the 9700 pro instead of the 9600, and it has TruBrite, I have it on my new laptop and its like playing games on a high-def TV.

I would stay clear of emachines, I don't think they are built very well and seem too "cheap", toshiba would be the winner, although you might consider a Sony Vaio, or a HP/Compaq, they are built like a rock, and durability should definitely be something you look at when purchasing a notebook.

jorsoft03 said:
I'd go Toshiba. I'm not sure about upgrading the card, I'll take a look into it myself in a bit.

Thanks. How would you be able to tell anyway? It must say in the specs right? What am I looking for?

Heya,

I've just bought myself a new laptop, an Acer 1691WMLi, and I'm very impressed with it. Its got a good spec on it, perhaps not quite as much as you are looking at, but the build quality seems good.

Have you thought of maybe a Packard Bell computer, as they are essentially an NEC computer with a different name tag. My Mom has one and its a nice computer.

I'd tend to agree with 'Something Sexy' about steering clear of e-machines. I guess from the links to the laptops you are looking at that you live in America. I live in the UK, and one of the biggest electrical chains in this country is the Dixons group, who own amongst other things, a PC superstore called PC World.

They sell e-machines as a budget range comp, for people who want a 'cheap n cheerful' PC to get them up n running.

Another computer to perhaps steer clear of (though it hasn't been mentioned) is Philips, as I understand that they are Advent computers again with a different name. If you want to go for a Philips laptop, better to look for an Advent one with the same spec, as they are most likely the same comps in a different shell, plus you'll probably pay less for the advent.

One thing I would consider,(though you will probably already )know this...

I know that graphics cards can be very deceptive in laptops, and if you want to do gaming on your comp, make sure the graphics cards have their own indepentant memory, and not shared memory, as you end up losing some of your RAM to the graphics card. Not being too up on computer hardware, I was almost caught out by this!

I would like to point out that I am by no means a computer whiz, but I like to do my research into products before handing over my money.

Sorry to have rambled on a bit, but I know what its like wondering which laptop to go for.

And if I have got anything wrong in this, then I do apologise, I'm just going on advice I have been given.

I hope I may of been some little bit of help!

e-machines are the worst computers ever, I know they are cheap, but they are useless. I had and e-machine, and the motherboard fried 5 mounth later..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom