Baseband Member
- AMD 64 3200+
- Asus K8V K8T800 Motherboard
- 1GB (DDR400) PC3200
- 60gb SATA 7200rpm Harddrive
- 400 Watt power supply with case
- ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb
- FREE 17'inch CRT Monitor

Is this a good build for $900? Would I be able to play The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on it with decent settings?

So 500W? and the MB and processor are socket 754. Should i try and get 939 or should it be alright for awhile?

try to get the 939 is better and newer. 500w is good but not from the case you need to buy another one. i would just change the psu and get a (939) cpu and mobo.

A 400W PSU is going to be a lot more than is even needed. Even though it is likely a no name PSU, it supplies way more than enough power, and should be ok. Not everyone needs an OCZ Modstream...

Also, for the motherboard, I would recommend the Gigabyte GA-K8NS-Ultra. I own said motherboard, and I have had nothing but good experiences with it. It is stable, has good features, and is relatively inexpensive. It also features the NForce3 chipset, which allows skt939 CPUs and has an AGP slot.

Also, another couple things to look for:
-Make sure the Hard Drive is a good brand name (Seagate or Western Digital) and is 7200rpm with 8MB cache.
-Get a 9800 Pro with 128MB of memory instead of 256MB. The 128MB performs better and is cheaper. But, if you can afford it, get a 6600GT. It will last a bit longer and performs quite a bit better than the 9800 Pro. I cant knock the 9800 Pro, though. I own one, and it performs quite well.

Other than that you should be ok. If you decide to go with that system in your first post, you should be able to run any game out right now.

9800 Pro's are good, dont get me wrong, but the money your gonna spend on one is close enough to a newer/way better card.

Thank you all very much for the recommendations. It looks like some of the changes will be made.

If you do go 939, check out the DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D. Great board, especially if you are going to be overclocking. You should get at least a 480W power supply with this board though, and make sure it has a 24 pin connector.

Even if you stay with what you chose, new psu definetly. Antec, OCZ, any reputable company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom