Intel EM64 or AMD 64??

Status
Not open for further replies.

coder_geek

Beta member
hello! i am looking forward to buy a very-high-end pc, basically for home usage as well as a developer's and gamer's pc. i am confused between Intel P4 EM64 and AMD 64-bit processors. i am in serious need of help. are there any issues with Intel EM64 or AMD64 currently which i should look for and r expected to be rectified in near future? or should i wait for some more time? can someone provide me with a link to a proper comparision between the two (based on genuine benchmarks)? plz help me make a good buy (keeping prices in mind).

go with the AMD 64's. they have had well over a year to mature and the architecture is more advanced. AMD 64's also have the upper hand in game performance becuase they can do more cycles per clock. you said that you are buying a high end system, so you should either get a venice core Athlon 64 or a San-deigo Athlon 64. and go the socket 939 route with PCI-Express.

AMDs do not do more "cycles per clock", they do more instructions per clock cycle, however that does not make them automatically better than Intel processors, which have a lower IPC (instructions per clock) but run higher clock frequencies.

That said, if you plan to run in 32 bit, its a tossup depending on what you want to do, each chip has its strengths.

If you intend to run in 64 bit mode (and run a 64 bit OS and applications) then all benchmarks say go for the AMD64 chip.

AMD, they are more efficient, great games performers. Also i heard that 64bit Intel Chips permform crap with 32bit Progs (or am i hearing false info?)

You're mostly correct there, other than I would say they don't perform like "crap", just not as well as in 32 bit mode.

To add onto what everyone has said here:

I want to clarify that both chips are actually quite powerful. If you go one or the other, you probably wont even notice a difference in performance.

It all really comes down to a couple fps (really, only a couple) in games and a couple milliseconds in renders, decodes, encodes, etc.

But to find out which one has the edge check these sites for benchmarks:
www.anandtech.com
www.xbitlabs.com
www.tomshardware.com

And, to compare prices, just go to www.newegg.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom