UPGRADE: Mobo, CPU, Memory - Need advice w/ *Brand name* vrs *Brand name*...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only wanted to get one ram stick at first so I could get one later instead of reaplacing both(Ie 1x 512mb stick instead of 2x 256mb) but is it recomended to only get them in pairs? if so I guess I could dish out for another 512mb(right now my system as 512 mb of ram and I'm finding I'm using all of it most of the time(excpet on system idle :D)

--One stick is fine, you could always buy another stick of the same type of ram later on. Matching pairs are tested to run together best, but buying the same brand and latency, later on, will do just fine.

Thanks for the review on the case, I didn't know it lighted up like a christmas tree, I might have to find another one. I'd rather just the LCD with temp display lighted up.

--You could always replace the fans with non-led fans, or disconnect the led wire on the fans.

I guess the only other thing I need is cpu cooling. What do you guys recomend ? my current one is a GlobalWin FOP38 , it's fairly loud(~45 dB) and keeps my cpu between 30-40ºC. I don't mind the noise, but I'd like on that could be adjusted, since mine is only on or off.
So what's a good one for keeping the CPU Cool(don't care about apperance.)

--The best (in my opinion) in that list is zalman. If you aren't going to ovrerclock, the stock heatsink/fan that comes with CPU will do the job just fine.

I agree with apokalipse, if you buy AMD, the Thermaltake Volcano is great HS/Fan. Many people swear by it,.

So corsair is the way to go for memory?

Can I buy just 1x512mb PC3200 DDR corsair ram for starters, then later down the road(when I can afford to)add in another 512mb stick.

OR.

Should I just keep my current 512MB ddr (Pc2100) until I can afford to get the Twin pack (1024MB TwinX PC3200 Low Latency Dual Channel Kit w/ Platinum Heatspreader $ 439.95 )

what would be the best way to go?

So maybe I could just leave out the cpu cooling for now and use the stock that it comes with, monitor my temps and if I feel liek OC or temps are getting high I should go with the Vocano?

You guys have been extremely helpful. thnk I'm almost ready to buy this thing, just gotta wait till my payement on my visa clears so I can max it out again LOL :D

[EDIT]
In reply to Bleep:

so I could go for Corsair 512MB XMS PC3200 Low Latency DDR CL2 w/ Platinum Heatspreader
$ 224.95
right now and get a second one down the line with no problem? or best to buy them in 2's

After looking more closely at the review on it you gave me I noticed it didn't look the way I thought it did, I thought the front was a crome/alluminum type look, not a transparent Plexi glass type look. I think I'll just wait till I go down there to shop for the case so I can see what they look like and how easy it would be to mod in smoe more fans if necessary.
[/EDIT]

The place I'm getting it at is a localized store(I think). Only two in the city(not anywhere else in world). used to be one but they've opened a second shop, so I guess there doing well. I've had good luck with them before, got my graphics card from them and they were cheaper then anywhere else inthe city(like future shop, or any big comp store)

I'd want the pc 3200, but that's up to you, and your budget. Any good brand name will do fine ( the more you pay, the more you get..performance wise). You don't have to buy a "matched pair kit", buying the same memory stick, in the furture is just as good (in my opinion).

You could stick with stock cooling till you see what your temps run at under full load. If you want a HS/Fan with a speed control etc. it will cost ya a bit more.

I agree with you on looking at the case first hand...best way to find one u like.

Thx Bleep.

I think I'll get one stick for now of PC3200, then another later when I got extra cash to waiste(er... invest :D)

LOL! I always seem to find extra cash to waste on my system and other electronic goodies. It's an addiction that is hard to combat, once you get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom