wat to check if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBMan

Daemon Poster
used comp isnt posting...

could bad videocard cause a comp to not post? wat else should i check?

no beep codes. its a server, with dual pentium 2's or something its a slot A processors, its got 2 power supplies built in to one and the onyl beep code i got is one long loud continuous beep when only one of the 2 power supplies was switched on so that was just the PSU's telling me i had to turn the other one on. anyway, It's got a scsi controller with 3 scsi hard drives and one scsi cd-rom, i put in one IDE HDD and one IDE CD rom and nothing changed and it doesnt really do anything except power up fans and cd rom drives and the light on the scsi controller goes on, the fans on the processors are on but i cant really tell if its doing much else, no display on the screen just an orange light showing taht its sleeping...thanks for any help

o yea and i added lots of working RAM so i know its not that. (has 4 slots, huge compared to anything im used to.

Have you tried resetting the BIOS?

for me the symptoms you describe have been caused by (in order of annoyance)

1. Motherboard AGP slot fried (Board swapped out)
2. CPU fried (new CPU)
3. Mucking about with BIOS settings causing sytem to crash (reset BIOS)
4. Video card not seated properly in slot (Always screw in place Doh!!)

Basically its usually a B****rd to figure out and normally only sorted by swapping each component one by one with components that are working fine in another rig.

Also ive seen these wee LCD PCI card display POST error cards that give you an error number which you compare to a list of errors to sort out boot problems. On Ebay have a look, they were going quite cheap if I remember correctly.

Anyway good luck.

alright, i know theres one in the A+ classroom at school, i can try and get ahold of a teacher there to see if i could borrow it, thx for the tip, i always forget the obvious stuff..

well, i replaced one of the CPUs and all of a sudden it works...sorta, i popped in an XP disc, it went thru text mode fine but then it restarts as normal, but as soon as it finishes posting and such, right before it would normall start to laod the OS to go into GUI mode it resets. Next I'm going to try adding my scsi controller and installing some of those drives since i was having some partitioning troubles, any more suggestions are definitely greatly appreciated. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom