Which way should I have my front fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have there own preference. Some people like pos air pressure inside the case, some like neg, some like equal. Positive air pressure in the case would have less exhaust and more intake which would force the air out of the cracks in the case. Negative air pressure is when you have more exhaust than intake and air comes into the case from cracks. Equal air pressure.... Well thereÂ’s the same amount of intake as exhaust and.... well.... nothing goes in or out of the cracks..... But in your situation i would have one front intake one side intake and one rear exhaust with high CFM.

It is obviously optimal to have an equal amount of air going in and going out, like the same size fans and equal number of them all around the case. Just like a RAM:CPU ratio, INTAKE:EXHAUST should be 1:1. But if you cannot do that, it is best to have the air actively intake and passively exhasuted. The air moving around and the combination of new air comming in will be quite sufficient to move the old air out. If 1:1 cannot be achieved with fans, intake as much air as possible.

One thing that have sometimes done in the past. mod the case so that you have a hole right above the cpu fan, with tubing down to it.switch the fan around and suck air through the heatsink, exhausting it outa the case directly. Put some tape or something around the top portion of the heatsink, so that the airflow will go through the bottom of the hs near the core. flam me if you will lol

charles_scott said:
That might work.... Not the best because you could have super cold air coming in down to it.....

Why is that not the best idea? Obviously you want as coldest of air as possible.

But I dont think that is a good idea at all, sorry. Air is pulled onto the heatsink to cool it down, not pulled aaway from it. It is more effective to blow on something to cool it off, than it is to try and suck the heat out of it.

umm him, if im not extremely mistaken isnt the goal of a hetsink to dissipate the heat of the processor? and doesn't that mean that it's leading the heat away from the heatsink?
also, if air is blown onto the heatsink, where's the hot air going to go?

The air is being blown onto the heat sink and going off to the side, why do you think heatsinks are designed like that? Wouldnt you think that if the right way to do it was pulling air AWAY from the heatsink, they would have made it do that?

Try for yourself. Take somethingk that is hot, very hot, constantly getting hotter if not actively cooled. Now take a BIG fan and put it next to it, blowing at it, and see how cool it gets. Now turn the fan around, sucking from it, how cool does it get?

If you put a fan in the window of your bedroom to cool it off, which way does it work best? Blowing air into the room, or taking it out? Same theory, same laws of physics, same physics apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom