Athlon 3800+ Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

strategist333

In Runtime
Alright, several questions, but know that I'm asking about a notebook:

1. The Athlon 3800+ must be desktop Athlons, so the max. wattage is around 90 W, and voltage varies with the core. How do these compare with the Turions and P-M's in performance, battery life, and heat?

2. Do these processors support SSE3? If not, will it have a major effect on performance?

3. Will socket 939 processors be at any time soon discontinued?

Thanks!

no 939 will not be discontinued, and mobiles are almost 2x faster than desktop stuff and i sont know what sse3 is

Socket 939 will be replaced by Socket M2 (or in the case of mobile processors, Socket S1), which is the next AMD platform supporting DDR2-667 as of Q1 2006 most likely.

I think he is refering to the Pentium M when he suggests the processors are almost twice as fast. The Pentium M technically has about half the clock speed of the regular Pentium 4s and that may give the misconception it is twice as fast since they are both on par, but it's simply because the P-M has more IPS than the Pentium 4.

The P-M and Turion will almost certainly have longer battery life, less heat output and less power consumption than their desktop counterparts.

I am almost postive the P-M supports SSE3 instruction sets, but am not sure if the Turions do or not. Either way, it shouldn't be a big deciding factor in your purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom