computer won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circus

Baseband Member
I just finished putting my components together and it didn't start up when i turned it on. The lights and fans came on and i could hear that the computer was on, but the BIOs didn't come up and my monitor (17" LCD flatscreen) was just black. My motherboard (abit aa8xe) has an indicator light that said C5, and when i looked in the users manual it said it had something to do with the CMOS memory or something of that nature. My nephew thought the chip might be bad because the BIOs weren't coming up. Could anyone give me some advice on how to fix this?

Hmmmm.......CMOS stands for Complementary Metal Oxide Silion. this type of chip is used by BIOS to store info about the type and the number of peripherals and some other stuff

first check the battery for NVRAM.
BIOS can be set up to take the place of the CMOS. try that second.

Circus said:
I just finished putting my components together and it didn't start up when i turned it on. The lights and fans came on and i could hear that the computer was on, but the BIOs didn't come up and my monitor (17" LCD flatscreen) was just black. My motherboard (abit aa8xe) has an indicator light that said C5, and when i looked in the users manual it said it had something to do with the CMOS memory or something of that nature. My nephew thought the chip might be bad because the BIOs weren't coming up. Could anyone give me some advice on how to fix this?

First the obvious: Is the monitor is plugged in? Is your monitor cable securely connected to your video output?

Can you turn the monitor on and off manually?

ok u probably hooked the case cable for pw sw and reset sw wrong go to ur mobo manual and try it again and please search the forums this question has been asked a billion times

timmer said:
ok u probably hooked the case cable for pw sw and reset sw wrong go to ur mobo manual and try it again and please search the forums this question has been asked a billion times

If the PW SW was connected wrong, the computer just wouldn't turn on. It sounds like the computers on and running, but no video is getting to the monitor.

yes, it turns on and everything. Everything appears to be on but i can't see anything on the monitor and the monitor is on a working

Circus said:
yes, it turns on and everything. Everything appears to be on but i can't see anything on the monitor and the monitor is on a working

Do you have a video card or is it integrated into the motherboard?

KMOTE said:
Hmmmm.......CMOS stands for Complementary Metal Oxide Silion. this type of chip is used by BIOS to store info about the type and the number of peripherals and some other stuff

first check the battery for NVRAM.
BIOS can be set up to take the place of the CMOS. try that second.

How do i do that, haven't tried that yet

does the computer beep when you turn it on, or sound like theres activity? Or is it just the fans turning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom