Problem Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpheous34

Beta member
I have a problem here, the problem is my old hard drive got fried, so I bought a new one and installed Windows on it myself, and now when I try to install some programs I get a message about they need more space on the C: drive, and I don't understand why do they need this? The OS (Windows XP Home Edition) is installed on the E:/ drive. The C: drive has 0 bytes on it and its named as "Removable Disk (C: )", so why would these programs need space from there?

Screenshot of the Message:

Screenshots of My Computer:

When I was installing the drivers from the motherboard's CD, I had the same message too, but in this case I fixed it by installing the VGA and Audio drives one by one. But now I don't know what to do :rolleyes: Is it possible to add some space to this "C:"?

Also, from what I can see, the Removable Disk (C: ) is the OEI-USB CF/SM/SD/MS USB Device.

Plz Help me guys :D

because c is the default label for the main HDD, the programs are trying to install on the c drive. c is your media card reader. remove it, and then install the programs.

OR, preferably, try and get ur HDD to be c, and all others labled after c. does anyone know how to change this?

Heyyo,

Lol, the prob is he installed windows onto the card reader instead of his HD, lol, I diddn't know windows xp supported that, lol.. that's crazy.

Anywho, you're gonna have to try again. Backup anything important to cds/dvds if you can, and then delete the c partition (either by a bootdisk to get into dos and using that fdisk utility, or from the windows xp cd. Now, if you remember the size of your HD, make sure you partition that then. Odds are your card reader's not very big, so install windows xp onto the biggest partition you can.

no, that crazy. his new HDD seems to have labelled itself as E instead of C. if you look as scrnsht number 3, you can see in the backgroung my computer. c relates to a removable disk, and e is his HDD.

Heyyo,

Ahh I see what he did now, thanks for clearin' that up josh, he partitioned his HD as E: originally since unlike windows 9x all windows nt based OS don't require the first OS to be the C:.. but I don't think he could re-label it now since windows xp is setup as the E: now. I know he can re-label the media card reader through the device manager easily, but the HD? I doupt it as it's the OS. He'd have to pretty much delete the E: partition, and create a new one as the C: partition.

I know some stuff about computers, so I entered to computer management/disk management and I tried changing the drive letter, but I get the following error:

"Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume"

The thing is my old hard drive got fried, and when I was installing this new one (its a Samsung 160GB 7200RPM) I remmember I installed it on an Unpartitioned Space (the only option shown).

What do I have to do now? I can format it if that is what is needed, but I would need help on doing that.

Thanks for the great help guys :D

was this the thing you tried and failed to do:

How to change a drive letter
To change an existing drive letter on a drive, on a partition, or on a volume, follow these steps: 1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.
3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Disk Management in the left pane.
4. Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
5. Click Change.
6. Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
7. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the drive letter change.
The drive letter of the drive, the partition, or the volume that you specified is changed, and the new drive letter appears in the appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool.

if so, a format is nessessary. you may need to change the mediacard reader to something else first, or it will just say the c is in use already. you should be able to change that with the above method.

to format, just insert the os installation cd, and install a fresh copy of the os.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom