Processor Core Guide ( Venice Newcastle Whinchester San Diego Clawhammer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ-CHRIS

Golden Master
Okay this thread will always stay updated, and Mobile AMD's and Intel CPU's will soon be included. I am not going to cover older AMD or older Intel CPU's because I feel that unnesscary, and server cores will not be included.

-----AMD Current Roadmap-----
http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/Athlon64.gif

-----Venice Athlon 64 Core----- (Highly Recomended)
This is one of AMD's latest cores. It is exactly like the Whinchester except for a few ways. It supports SSE3 and all other CPU instructions. This CPU can also run at extremely low temperatures and remain stable.

-----San Diego Athlon 64 Core----- (Highly Recomended)
This is one of AMD's latest core's. It is exactly like the Venice except for one difference. This CPU has a large 1 MB L2 Cache giving it higher peformance. If you are buying a CPU past the 3500+ rating and not dual core, this is what I recomend.

-----Toledo X2 Dual Core----- (Highly Recomended)
This is AMD's high end core for their dual core CPU's. This is the same as the San Diego, except this features two cores. Each core has a seperate L2 Cache that is 1 MB each.

-----Manchester X2 Dual----- (Recomended)
This is AMD's low end core for their dual core CPU's. This is the same as the Venice, except this features two cores. Each core has a seperate L2 Cache that is 512 KB each.

-----Whinchester Athlon 64 Core----- (Recomended for some)
This is the first Athlon 64 Core to be interduced on the 90nm process. This core also features 512 K of L2 cache. All of these cores have a 1000mhz HyperTransport, unlike the above cores that vary. These are only for Socket 939. It supports all CPU instructions except for SSE3. These are a MUCH cooler running CPU than the above CPU's. These CPU's have one flaw, that is at temperatures below freezing, they have stability problems. AMD no longer makes these core's and they were very short lived. These are a good CPU to get if you do not overclock and do not use multimedia software.

-----CLAWHAMMER Athlon 64 Core----- (Not recomended for buying)
This is the oldest core for Athlon 64 CPU's. They have 1 meg of L2 cache which is more than their replacements. They were predomiantly used for Socket 754 but also found alot of Socket 939 use. It supports all CPU instructions except for SSE3. These are by far the hottest running CPU core. These CPU's are also bad overclockers. These are also based off the 130nm process.

-----NEWCASTLE Athlon 64 Core----- (Not recomended for buying)
This is the second oldest Athlon 64 CPU core. These have 512 K of L2 cache, but comparing a Clawhammer to a Newcastle, you have a 200mhz speed boost for the same CPU. They are found in both 754 and 939 socket flavors. It supports all CPU instructions except SSE3. These core's are warm running but not as hot as the Clawhammer. These CPU's are not all that great for overclocking, and are also based off the 130nm process.

good post. except for the newcastle you write that it's based on 90nm, when it's really 130nm, since you say that the winchester core was the first core to be made with 90nm.

I am sorry to who has stuck this but this has already been covered in the overclocking forum. We do not need two stickies on the same topic

ah and sorry to Chris as well, the thought is appreciated, and I will add the roadmap the sticky in the other forum

gaara said:
I am sorry to who has stuck this but this has already been covered in the overclocking forum. We do not need two stickies on the same topic

ah and sorry to Chris as well, the thought is appreciated, and I will add the roadmap the sticky in the other forum

ah crap, and I will fix the number as well

And all the other cores are coming as well, but I think we still need something for the hardware section

Yeah, we could use a write up on the Sempron cores, and an Intel buff can even do one on the different Intels if you want, although I don't think Intel has that many cores around like now.

BTW Havoc, you have private messages disabled so I can't reply to your message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom