Installing Windows XP question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotgun98

Solid State Member
Hello,
I am currently running Windows 98se on my computer. I want to install Windows XP Professional.

1. Will I lose all of my files on my hard drive if I do this?
2. Is installing Windows XP Professional something an average computer user can handle doing themselves?
3. Any other comments, suggestions, or questions?

Thank you.

boot to 98, insert cd, run setup. this will upgrade your installation and all user data will be preserved.

you can prolly do it yourself. you may want to lookup installation notes beforehand. Make sure your hardware is compatibile and you may want to d/l a new network card driver for xp so you can get to the inet

It's an XP upgrade. Boot up your puter. Insert the xp cd and it will promt you to do an upgrade(recommended) do that...keep the 98se cdrom handy as it will be requested to verify that you have a legal prior os installed. Then just do the installation of xp: Warning Will Robinson Warning!!!! any folder you have on the destop will be toast. if you have folders on the desk top transfer them into the root of your hard drive or they be in file recovery purgatory!!!

Well I don't like all the .0000 backups a upgrade will give you but he's right in this case an upgrade will do fine.

Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
Published: November 12, 2001
By Sharon Crawford

Like many other people, I want my computer set up just so. I know what I want on my desktop and I know just where I want each icon located. I have a combination of colors, fonts, and wallpaper that is mine alone. Not to mention a motley collection of programs and utilities that includes personal and professional financial records dating back to 1990! My own special arrangement takes a while to configure and develops over time, so I'm reluctant to start over even when a new computer beckons.

But even the best computer becomes old news in a couple of years and it's time to move on. Facing this unpleasant chore, I was pleased to find that my new Windows XP–based computer includes a Files and Settings Transfer Wizard that even this skeptic finds truly wizard. In just a few steps you can move all your precious files and even–more–precious settings from one machine to another.

I can't believe it has been one month since I posted I was going to upgrade. Well, believe it or not I put it off until today. I've encountered some problems. This is what happened.

While it was "Preparing Installation", I got a message saying "Setup cannot copy the file: kodak_dc.icm" I retryed but got the same message. So I hit Esc to continue on. It happend again with the following files and each time I hit Esc. mdwmdmsp.dll, nikedrv.sys, rio8drv.sys,riodrv.sys,spnkike.dll,sprio600.dll,sprio800.dll, after those I quit writing them down and quite a few more files could not be copied.

So eventually, I got passed the "Preparing Installation" stage, and got to the "Installing Windows" stage.

This is where I got the message saying "RUNDLL Error loading streamci The specified module could not be found" The only thing I could do was turn my PC off and uninstall.

Anyone have any suggestions of what might be causing this? Thanks.

Maybe you did these things already, I don't know, but I'll post them anyways.
Did you close all running programs, like your anti-virus?

Download the XP upgrade advisor from HERE
and run it. I'm not sure if it automatically runs when you do an upgrade.

Do all that, the upgrade advisor will tell you about any incompatabilities.

Also, go to Start > run>msconfig and uncheck all the boxes, then reboot.

Then try again.

Note, can't hurt to do a scandisk before you do the upgrade also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom