Why disabling CPU Level 2 Cache is a fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manasus

Beta member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XP wont start when CPU Level 2 cache is enabled in BIOS.

I recently upgraded to XP from 98se.
When xp is first installed everything seems to be working fine. Then next time i turned on the computer i started getting blue screen of deaths at seemingly random times while i was using my computer.
Then it got worse and i would get a BSOD just as xp starts.

The blue screen of death said

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
"The problem seems to be caused by following file ntfs.sys"

Been at this problem for three days now, search the net its seems as though its related to some driver not being compatible but i am not sure. I installed asus pc probe and it says my power fan and chassis fan are below threshold. I don't know what this means, could it be a power issue that my processor can't handle using level 2 cache?

Ive done memtest and it didn't find errors.

Since i disabled cpu level 2 cache everything works, but its annoying because i am losing some performance. Anyone know Why disabling CPU Level 2 Cache is a fix?

motherboard: asus a7v333
512mb ram
amd xp2000
nvidia geforce 4 mx 460
xp

Thanks

L2 cache is like a super fast RAM contained on the CPU, and you loose ALOT of peformance with it disabled

Yeah i know thats the annoying thing, i am losing a lot of performance by disabling it but its the only way I can get Xp to run without crashing.

So I just wondering can anyone tell me why disabling level 2 cache might cause XP to stop crashing?

My only idea is that it is something related to the power and my computer can't handle using the extra level 2 cache so it causes system failure.

My power fan and chassis fan are running below their threshold, does this mean they mighn't be cooling my cpu down enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom