I'll start with some very basic comp specs:
==============================

ASUS P4P800 SE 800MB FSB
P4 Proc @ 3.2 GHZ
512 DDR
Geforce Ti 4200
Soundblaster 5.1 audigy
Win XP SP2

A little while ago I was having problems with my computer randomly turning off. It became so often that I couldnt turn my computer on anymore. I had my PSU replaced and it now works again. However, over the course of a few months Ive noticed my comps ability to process graphics (yes im a gamer) to get worse and worse. I was just playing so GW this morning and I started to get very bad frames, and the ground de-texturized and then my computer shut off. I do not want to have my comp shutting down every 5 mins....

I want a new GFX card (ATI radeon X800XL, only because my MB isnt PCIE compatible), but do you think this is my GFX card going to crap, or could it maybe be some faulty RAM. Or anything else you may know of.

Thx alot~

Are we talking about the ULTRA card that costs close to 900$? Or the OC which is only 128 MB VRAM. Like I said, I have no PCIE support so I cant get the PCIE Geforce GT.

I dont have the money to put into an 800$ dollar card either, so. I thought the X800XL would be sufficient enough, but is there something that makes a card with half the VRAM more worth it?

EzD said:
I'll start with some very basic comp specs:
==============================

ASUS P4P800 SE 800MB FSB
P4 Proc @ 3.2 GHZ
512 DDR
Geforce Ti 4200
Soundblaster 5.1 audigy
Win XP SP2

A little while ago I was having problems with my computer randomly turning off. It became so often that I couldnt turn my computer on anymore. I had my PSU replaced and it now works again. However, over the course of a few months Ive noticed my comps ability to process graphics (yes im a gamer) to get worse and worse. I was just playing so GW this morning and I started to get very bad frames, and the ground de-texturized and then my computer shut off. I do not want to have my comp shutting down every 5 mins....

I want a new GFX card (ATI radeon X800XL, only because my MB isnt PCIE compatible), but do you think this is my GFX card going to crap, or could it maybe be some faulty RAM. Or anything else you may know of.

Thx alot~

You can be pretty sure it's your graphic card, but the computer shutting because of a failing graphics card is a sympton I've never heard. Before you sped x amount of dollars on a new card, why not borrow a friends/co-workers graphics card just to make sure that is the problem.

You have never heard of a computer shutting down because of a failing graphics card? No they don't go thru the nice windows shutdown, but you get a nice reboot.

6600GT is all I would look at if your playing guildwars, since you dont need a more expensive card like the 6800GT.

I would say the issue is most likely the card, but could you explain how exactly it "shut's down" and talk about if your monitor light blinks, windows reboots, no monitor light ect

It could be an issue with the PSU not sending a POWER_GOOD signal to the computer causing the computer to turn off. The PSU could also not be sufficent.

And possibility number 3 is artifacting, which is caused by the video card overheating. You would see a lot of random crap fly everywhere in this scenario.

Well when the computer shutdown, it completely shut down, no restart. When I turned it back on, it took about 45 seconds for the keyboard and monitor to turn on. During those 45 seconds it just sat there, thinking about life.

Also, I do not plan to only play GW. I also like the HL2 series of games, which I used to be able to play good, but now can't because of all this crap.

Eeek, ugh well its one of the newer models, im thinkin a 350 or some crap like that..I've never actually read about PSUs that much in my small computer history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom