Set free disk space capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

rccars411

Beta member
Before we let my sister onto this computer, it was empty, and completly functional. Now the HDD is loaded with garbage and i need to know where i can find the settings for the "free space settings". I used to have everything memorized but since she got on, its all gone now.

Its currently at 3 gigs, and she filled it.

you mean Disk Cleanup? its usually under Start Menu->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Cleanup

but most likely she put on spyware and adware and virii that won't be removed with Disk Cleanup. check threads for programs that will clean those up.

also if she has software installed, go to Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs to try and uninstall them.

also search and delete things you don't need under My Documents and Program Files folders. be careful when you do that.

are you using different profiles to work on the machine? Is this XP?
given the following, You are using different profiles and you are using XP, you can set her as a non admin, and then grant her a disk quota that will only allow her "x" amount of space. I think this is possible on XP home, but I know it is on Pro. So this is what happenes. When you change her account to be a user instead of an admin, she will only have access to create and modify access on her profile and in program files, as well as any directory that is not locked down. From here, you only have to enforce a disk quota on her profile.
follow these to do that...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307984&sd=tech

Good luck

The above questions and statements are very relevant.

However, I think maybe another relevant issue is that a 3GB hard drive is going to become very difficult to keep free space on. Currently this is not a lot of space to work with, and an upgrade may be due. Even 3 GB (I cant determine from your message if you have 3GB free space or 3GB HDD) of free space is irrelevant once you download a few mp3's, install a game etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom