computer woes on windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

quiksilverx181

Beta member
i, got my last paper due for my summer school college class in a week, so i need my computer up... and fast. Pretty much, I have a 120gb hard drive and an 80gb hard drive... I used to have all my data backed up on my 80 and my 120gb used to be my windows hard drive.. But I wanted that to change. I formatted and installed windows xp on my 80gb hard drive, then dragged all the stuff BACK to my 80gb hard drive so that i could format my 120gb.... Well i formatted in windows, and then i restarted. Well, when i formatted, it told me i was missing windows files (i had it so that my hard drives will boot first, with my 80gb now the master and my 120gb now the slave)... So I was like wtf...

Restart the computer, and then it asks for the windows cd. I provide that, and it takes me to setup... WTF?

Right now im formatting my 120gb/installing windows again.... I didnt want it to be this way, I still got my stuff on my 80gb (for the time being while my 120gb formats... Help?

Summary:
-Originally had 80gb hard drive as backup, 120gb as windows xp hard drive
-Wanted to change it so that 120gb hard drive was backup, and 80gb was windows hard drive
-Format 80gb hard drive after dragging backup stuff onto my 120gb hard drive
-Install windows xp on 80gb hard drive
-Drag stuff back to 80gb hard drive so that i could format 120gb and put my backups on that drive once format was done
-Format in windows
-Turn off computer
-Reset jumpers/IDE cables accordingly
-Get an error saying that the computer cant locate a file and that I need my xp disc
-Insert xp disc
-Get taken to xp setup screen, im like ah.. hell, ill just format it from here.
-Delete partition, then format my 120gb hard drive, now its automatically installing windows back onto it...
-In the end, nothing got solved...

HELP!!!

edit: btw, i tried both my original jumper/ide config and my new jumper/ide config, same thing happens

nah havent tried partition magic yet... but heres a question, how do i recover the master boot record in recovery console? I want to try that but dont know the command...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom